What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Small streaming computer suggestions?

biff

I have a TV I take out to the hot tub from time to time that I stream sports on. 99% of the time I stream from one site that has the NHL Game Center feed, and it's done from within Chrome. I tried using a chromecast but was not impressed with the quality and control was a bit of a pain. I had a RPi 3B sitting around so I gave that a go and it was woefully underpowered. So right now I take a old lappy out to feed the TV and it works perfect but is less than elegant. I'd like to have something small that can attach to the back of the TV and use a small wireless KB for control. The RPi would have been perfect - the TV even has a USB on the back for power - but unless the RPi 4 is a hell of a lot more powerfull I don't see it as a solution.

I'd appreciate any ideas for alternative solutions that I could look into.
Thanks!

moocow

Corporate SFF machines? I got a HP Elitedesk 800 G3 SFF for $200 sans SSD and OS. Someone is selling a tiny with i5-7500t with 250GB SSD and OS for $210 on CL here. So it might be something of interest to you.

Shadowmeph

I use a pie4 I think its 4gb works allot better then the pi3 but I am streaming from harddrives in libreelec . hen Iwsa using the pie 3 I was using libraelec with some addone and it streamed on but it would get hot then not stream so well and that thing had a fan my pi4 I juts stream fom my hard drives it works great the odd time I will have to reboot but I think I have only had to do the 5 times since I have had it which is when it was first available in Canada so what 1-2 maybe 3 years. I also just use my tablet as a remote so there isnt allot of things attached to the pi4 also also I have the fan on it it gets a little warm but not hot like the pi3 did. mind you also I did have my pi3 OCed

Bond007

Budget? No other uses other than streaming? Would it stay there all the time, or just when in use?

Used corporate sff box would definitely be the best bang for buck.

As an ideal, it sounds like something similar to a NUC, lenovo tiny, or gigabyte brick, etc would be the best…if you can find a good deal. There was someone occasionally selling used Lenovo’s on here in the last while. Probably all gone now.