What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

So all of the mining has delayed my video card purchase

BootlegUsher

The last time I updated my PC was in 2009. My computer has worked very well for me, but I have had to start dialing back the settings in recent games. I thought that now would be great time to upgrade, with Haswell processors out and the new Radeon 290X bringing in some better value to the GPU market.

Then litecoin mining happened. Holy hell. Graphics cards are going for $100-$150 above MSRP. So much for value getting better. Just a few months ago when the 280X came out all of the retailers were clearing their 7970s for near $300. I am seeing used 7970s on the market now for $400+.

I can't help but feel that if I buy a new Radeon R9 series card today that I am getting fleeced. The Nvidia GTX 780s are going for around $530 - $590 which I think is still too much for a card that isn't that new any more.

Alas, while I have my brand new Z87 motherboard, new RAM, new i7 4771 CPU, I will be putting all of this together and sticking with my current Radeon 5850. This sucks, but I just know that if I blow $650 on a 290X, months later they will come out with ASIC devices for litecoin and then the used market will be flooded with 290x cards for below $500.

I just wish that all of this mining could be done on something else, and not consumer GPUs. That way the miners could do their own thing and not affect my computer upgrade purchases.

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... somebody should start a support group for this. I'm in much the same boat, but on a smaller scale.

I just wanted to puck up a low/mid range card to drop into my APU build and it's got to be AMD because Nvidia cards don't play nice with HDMI into my TV. I had been hoping to pick up a decent $150(ish) card, but as it stands the only option that seems even close is a 260X and I'm not sure I want to go that route.

sf101

just buy nvidia then

Ncix has zotac 780 OC's on for 430$ for the last week or so. no real excuses.

sswilson

Staff member
just buy nvidia then

Ncix has zotac 780 OC's on for 430$ for the last week or so. no real excuses.

Nvidia isn't an option for me until they get off of their butts and fix their issues with HDMI rgb settings.

sherwind2010

I have two R9 280X's. I got to tell you, I like nVidia better. It is all done for you when you install the drivers. All the settings is how they should be, Installation is all professional & looks Nice and Neat. It just works without any work from the user. No bugs, With AMD it is like 3rd party everything. Bug list it getting long with AMD. Anyone know what I mean or am I alone? I like my GTX 760 & I paid 25% less for same game performance.

sswilson

Staff member

Latest posts