What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

So lowfat was corrrect. Fan direction.

clshades

I can confirm that when a top rad is installed for water cooling having the fans blow into the case rather than out definitely increases cooling performance overall. Easily 5-10C cooler.

cpu is running a few degrees over ambient @3.7ghz 1.45v
GPUs are never past 50C under load with 950 on the core and 1425 on the memory.
North bridge is running 2400 40-45C and ram is maxed at 1600mhz

Everything is very stable and the mobo block is certainly helping.

Probably the best advice in water cooling I've gotten to date. Cheers man. :thumb:

Basically every fan I have is blowing into the case except the rear exhaust so a FULL positive pressure setup and working much better than before.

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
I refuse to believe this. Therefore I shall substitute my own reality for yours.

Might be lower at the start but your components will slowly heat up.

Did you check you hard drive temps before and after?

TLDR; Bullshit.

lowfat

Staff member
HDDs are suppose to run warm so unless they are above 50C it shouldn't matter. Overcooling them actually has a negative impact on lifespan. Unless your drives are older than 4 years, semi high temperature won't cause the drive to die.

http://research.google.com/archive/disk_failures.pdf

And yes radiators should always be intaking air in a push configuration. Push itself performs better due to turbulent airflow. Then the big factor is that you aren't pulling warm air through the radiator.

clshades said:
Basically every fan I have is blowing into the case except the rear exhaust so a FULL positive pressure setup and working much better than before.

The way it should be. :thumb:

sswilson

Staff member
HDDs are suppose to run warm so unless they are above 50C it shouldn't matter. Overcooling them actually has a negative impact on lifespan. Unless your drives are older than 4 years, semi high temperature won't cause the drive to die.

http://research.google.com/archive/disk_failures.pdf

And yes radiators should always be intaking air in a push configuration. Push itself performs better due to turbulent airflow. Then the big factor is that you aren't pulling warm air through the radiator.

I'm not completely sure he's being serious, but as far as the HDD goes, I'm thinking he's suggesting checking those temps as an indication of internal case temp. ;)

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
Of course having the fan push air through the radiator is better then having it on the hot side trying to pull air through. BUT BLOWING HOT AIR INTO YOUR COMPUTER IS NEVER A GOOD IDEA. PERIOD, END OF STORY.

Now, the only conceivable way you would get an improvement is that previously, when you were exhausting from the case through the rad and out of the case, you did not have enough make up air coming into the case. You were creating too much negative pressure in the case, there was no air to push.

Shadowmeph

with my case I in stalled my rad on to and have air pushing into the ran which also gets pushed into the case but the back of my case fan is right there so any hot air being blown into my case from the to is also being pulled out thew back of my case pretty much instantly.
I would imagine that allot of cases have rear fans that do the same thing.

lowfat

Staff member
Of course having the fan push air through the radiator is better then having it on the hot side trying to pull air through. BUT BLOWING HOT AIR INTO YOUR COMPUTER IS NEVER A GOOD IDEA. PERIOD, END OF STORY.

Now, the only conceivable way you would get an improvement is that previously, when you were exhausting from the case through the rad and out of the case, you did not have enough make up air coming into the case. You were creating too much negative pressure in the case, there was no air to push.

100% disagree. You'll find most of the watercooling world will agree w/ me. Having a high case temp is meaningless when you have your GPUs and CPU watercooled. It really doesn't matter if your RAM, PCH, HDDs, and VRMs run 10°C warmer.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
I always try to set up my loops to intake cold air over the rads, it's had the best results for me.

Latest posts