What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

so what Ryzen 5000 do you want to get?

MARSTG

I am still running an Optiplex 790 with a i7-2600 non k and I keep the HT off with a gtx 650, so probably none !

Dwayne

I have had 2 PC Part Picker builds going, one Intel i9 10850k and one AMD 3900X. Both systems, using the same parts, brands, MB, etc were within a couple buck of each other. That would be CPU, Cooler, MB, RAM, Boot Drive, PSU, and Case.

If the 5900X performs as well as AMD claims, then I am going to tweak the AMD build and get the parts for it. I use my machine for gaming. I don't stream, I am not productive what so ever, and I don't care how fast I can run the Cinebench Bench marks. I game at 1440p on an Acer Predator 144Hz monitor. So, if the CPU performs as well or better than a 10900k for games, then the PCIe 4.0 advantage will outweigh the price difference between the 5900X system and a 10850k system.

I don't mind waiting. I will not buy without independent reviews though.

djbrad

ah...I see I made a typo in my OP. I meant B450 with dual M.2 SSD, so it's affordable. I don't need PCIe 4.0, a 3.0 SSD is still too fast for me to bottleneck. :p
Yeah, asus has a b450 itx with dual m.2, but it's out of stock or highly priced.

Gman109

I already upped one of our PCs from 9900k to 10900k. I'm happy I waited to do the other 2, I'm hoping that the AMD numbers for the 5900 are legit, as I've been waiting for this day, where AMD is not only the best value for non gaming apps, but also beats (I'll settle for a tie even), Intel's flagship CPU in the single core/gaming results. AMD is in 4 of my mutual funds after all...

Seriously though, I'd love it too if the Big Navi is at least on par with the 3080 - if so, I'll build one all AMD pc using that GPU and the 5900 as well. Good times, it'll have been nearly a decade since I had my 7970 GPUs in an AMD CPU machine.

The 10900k is a decent cpu for my gaming uses (DCS, some other flight sims, Arma3, etc), but if AMD can match them in gaming, and beat them in price and app performance, then I see no reason not to jump ship to team red.

Izerous

Folding Team
I would like the 5950x not going to deny but from a practical point of view i'd never really leverage it correctly and I'd make better use of the 5900x overall. Assuming there is a proper BIOS update for the CH7 Hero it is very likely that I'll pick up a 5900X but it won't be on release likely wait a month or so for random sales or games bundles that usually occur.

Mr. Friendly

I would like the 5950x not going to deny but from a practical point of view i'd never really leverage it correctly and I'd make better use of the 5900x overall. Assuming there is a proper BIOS update for the CH7 Hero it is very likely that I'll pick up a 5900X but it won't be on release likely wait a month or so for random sales or games bundles that usually occur.
indeed. 8 cores / 16 threads will still do oodles better than my i7's current 4 cores / 8 threads...so 5800X is the most likely.

JD

Staff member
I think I'll probably do a 5950X, just to fully max out this platform as it's technically EOL now. Then it can live on as a "server" down the road.

Do you guys think a 3900X would be okay in an ASRock B450M though? It's only 3-phase, so I'm leaning towards that being a bad idea, but I have a 2700X in there today which is also 105W. Better idea is probably to get a middle range B550 board and replace the 6850k in the house instead?