What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

so what Ryzen 5000 do you want to get?

Soultribunal

Staff member
I think I'll probably do a 5950X, just to fully max out this platform as it's technically EOL now. Then it can live on as a "server" down the road.

Do you guys think a 3900X would be okay in an ASRock B450M though? It's only 3-phase, so I'm leaning towards that being a bad idea, but I have a 2700X in there today which is also 105W. Better idea is probably to get a middle range B550 board and replace the 6850k in the house instead?

I think even undervolted That would be pushing the power phase a little too much for my tastes.
The lower end boards too tend to have weaker power delivery overall, in my experience at least.

-ST

JD

Staff member
I think I'd be fine with boost disabled entirely (assuming that's possible)... but I've never had this scenario where I end up with a "spare" CPU and no motherboard to go with it.

gingerbee

well, I am so happy with my 3900x that I think I will wait a little bit then grab a 5900x so I can move my 3900x into the HTPC. Already have 1700 as my server so for me, it would just be my max out of the x570 boards I have already then down the road grab the 5950x once they come down or get one used should save me some cash over the years and still give systems that can handle everything I want to throw at it

ps sorry if that is a little confusing meds causing my vision to be messed up

Soultribunal

Staff member
I'm thinking if I go about actually building a PC next year (granted that I can recover and get back to working) probably go with the lower end Zen3 , 5600X, paired with a 3070 should be more than sufficient for 1440p Gaming.

-ST

belgolas

Well if what AMD says is true I will be going AMD for the first time in a long time. My 8700k could use an upgrade and I am thinking of either the 5800x or 5900x. I am leaning towards the 5900x but I will have to see reviews. I have been waiting for these new CPUs from AMD and have been slowly buying new parts. I am almost doing a full system upgrade except for PSU and storage.

Mr. Friendly

hmmm...apparently the Asus Strix B450-I supports dual M.2 for storage...but jury is out on whether Asus will bring Ryzen 5000 support to all their 4xx chipset boards. and then there's the issue of stock...can you find one of these or not. :p

JD

Staff member
hmmm...apparently the Asus Strix B450-I supports dual M.2 for storage...but jury is out on whether Asus will bring Ryzen 5000 support to all their 4xx chipset boards. and then there's the issue of stock...can you find one of these or not. :p
Looks like ASUS dropped their X470 boards... so I'm doubtful on B450.