What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

so you think you can update to Windows 11? ...think again!

Mr. Friendly

Microsoft just through a curveball that may dash the hopes of those who got excited when they read Windows 11 will still install on unapproved hardware if you do it 'manually'. If you do that, you won't get updates. None of them...security, feature, driver or otherwise.

I don't think they will in the end as that will create quite the mess of malware infected PC's and the blame would fall squarely on MS for that. granted...the user will be at fault too, being they were told upfront what would happen if they did this.

time will tell...

moocow

Ah my friend, that's where lawyers come in. Re-write the EULA and clearly state that if you install on unsupported hardware, you get no protection, and by clicking Okay, you accept that agreement. Legally...problem solved. Might have to seriously look into Ubuntu as an alternative for my older server hardware depending on what they are going to do with Windows 10.

Mr. Friendly

Ah my friend, that's where lawyers come in. Re-write the EULA and clearly state that if you install on unsupported hardware, you get no protection, and by clicking Okay, you accept that agreement. Legally...problem solved. Might have to seriously look into Ubuntu as an alternative for my older server hardware depending on what they are going to do with Windows 10.
Windows 10 is good for another 4 years...until sometimes 2025.

ipaine

Legally no problem solved. EULA are notoriously un-enforceable. The only way they could maybe make it stick, and I do mean maybe, would be if it was in large bold font at the very top of the EULA, and made you agree to no updates 3 or 4 times.

Even then, it would not be worth it for MS to deal with the massive bot nets that this would create and I would guess that the courts would side against them saying simply, they could have provided the updates.

And like Mr. Friendly says, Win 10 still going to be good till at least 2025.

gingerbee

Of course, I am not happy about it but I will upgrade to supported hardware to make sure it is all good to go, If I want to run Win11 then that the price I will pay

moocow

I wonder how this impacts the used hardware market. Right now I can still install Win10 on a first gen CORE machine and still get updates. While not officially supported, I still get security patches.

JD

Staff member
How much of this is The Verge twisting words out of context though? Even Windows 10 today has had "blocks". It's not exactly anything new is it? If there's a known compatibility issue, Windows Update will prevent you from installing that update.

I'd be curious to know what their source is...

MARSTG

I wonder if not allowing Intel CPUs before 8th gen has anything to do with those famous security flaws all generations previous to the 8th suffered from, that humiliated Intel so much.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
been runnin Zorin Os 16 on test rig and the win install app is a huge step in right direction for some apps. if they can get that working even better no need for windows.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I wonder if not allowing Intel CPUs before 8th gen has anything to do with those famous security flaws all generations previous to the 8th suffered from, that humiliated Intel so much.

This makes a lot of sense as a lot of the benefits of W11 are 'sandboxing' for security. This is where the spectre/meltdown bugs cause issues.

I have a low-use work desktop thats used mostly for web lookups and some simple app use. Decided to put W11 on it as a 'beta' to see how it runs and if I like it. I'll save the gaming PC's for later should I want to upgrade, and after they fix up the gaming performance bugs.

Latest posts

Twitter