What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Socket 1156 build, good?

t_mo_t

Hey guys, I m thinking of replacing my 2 year old gaming system to i5/i7 socket 1156

I m currently using:
Q6600 GO @3.2GHz (8x400) on TRUE-120 (push and pull)
GSkill 2x2GB DDR2-1000 + GSkill 2x1GB DDR2-1066
eVGA 780i
eVGA GTX275 SC Edition (either keep or change to 58XX)
Ultra X3 850W (should i change this too?)

----will not be changing these:-----
300GB VelociRaptor
1TB Seagate 7200.11
1TB WD Caviar Black
CM HAF932

Parts I m thinking of getting:
i7 860
Asus P7P55D-E PRO or Gigabyte P55-UD4 (not sure of other good gigabyte series, opinions?)
GSkill 2x2GB DDR3-1600 Rip Jaws
Corsair HX850

Question is... i m a multitasker (thus q6600 instead of e8500 when i bought my system), is i5 750 enough? does the hyperthreading really noticeable? How hard is it to OC i5/i7 compared to c2q?

how much would my old system worth in just those parts that i listed?

The mobo i m looking for must have SATA6 and USB3.0 for "future" proof, so i looked at asus and gigabyte. I read online that one of these two has different implementation for SATA6 and USB3.0 usage (loosing pcie x16 when used?), so which one is better? For asus's p7p55d-e series, i m pretty confident on the pro version, but i m not sure about gigabyte ud3/ud3p/ud4/udXXX, which one is good for my setup? I dont need IDE port btw.:bleh:

Thanks guys!!!:bananafunky::thumb:

Eldonko

I would say if you are a multitasker then 860 is def worth the $ over the 750. OCing is not that hard, it is just a little different, you will figure it out quick enough.

Ill let someone else handle the SATA6 and USB3.0 question as Im not sure.

Ryoohki

Oh and do youreselft a favor and get a Thermalright MUX-120 (around 40$CAD) or any other 1166 cooler. I got my I5 stable to 4.0ghz (vs 2.6ghz original) with temps of 62C at load and 34C at idle. Where the original cooler heated more at stock clock LOL! :)

t_mo_t

I would say if you are a multitasker then 860 is def worth the $ over the 750. OCing is not that hard, it is just a little different, you will figure it out quick enough.

Ill let someone else handle the SATA6 and USB3.0 question as Im not sure.

I guess the 100bucks is worth the 4 virtual core huh? noticeable as in from p4(with HT) to c2d?

Oh and do youreselft a favor and get a Thermalright MUX-120 (around 40$CAD) or any other 1166 cooler. I got my I5 stable to 4.0ghz (vs 2.6ghz original) with temps of 62C at load and 34C at idle. Where the original cooler heated more at stock clock LOL! :)

Oh? i m actually pretty pissed off at my TRUE120, it's huge!!! lol how about coolermaster 212? i heard good stuffs about them too? right now, i dont want to overclock yet, going stock for a while, then if i think it's not fast enough for me, then i will buy aftermarket hsf... LOL just to preserve the feeling of getting new stuffs:ph34r:

Ryoohki

I guess the 100bucks is worth the 4 virtual core huh? noticeable as in from p4(with HT) to c2d?

Oh? i m actually pretty pissed off at my TRUE120, it's huge!!! lol how about coolermaster 212? i heard good stuffs about them too? right now, i dont want to overclock yet, going stock for a while, then if i think it's not fast enough for me, then i will buy aftermarket hsf... LOL just to preserve the feeling of getting new stuffs:ph34r:

Don't know, i saw that the Mux-120 was loved by many so i bought it and don't regret it a bit! It's big, but it fit in my Antec 300 case so ;)

Hyperthread is good if you do video/audio compression, file compression or any phsysic calculation. I myself do video compression, but with a I5 750 @ 4.0ghz it's already really fast (around 181FPS with my DVD to H264 converter)..

Eldonko

I would say it is for multitasking yeah but that's just my 2 cents.

btw I have the coolermaster 212 and if you run 2 fans it's awesome. See the HWC review for numbers

_dangtx_

Banned
if the 775 cant keep up with what you need, hyperthreading all the way. if it can still do it, then start off with the video card(altough i d wait a bit)

MonsterSound

Intel Xeon X3440?

I think for most multitasking, even the quad i5 750 is great. I had one for a couple of months and it was very snappy even when heavily tasked (4ghz). The i5 750 is also easier to overclock and runs cooler than the HT i7 860. I went to the 860 only because folding -bigadv units requires 7 to 8 threads.
The i5 750 may be the best bang for the buck although,..
the Intel Xeon X3440 is pretty interesting at $225 from PEOnline - 2.53ghz quad w HT & turbo. May be an even better deal. I'm going to have to read up on the X3440.
P.s. More RAM is good. I found that 8gb preforms better than 4 in Win 7 when really busy.
2c

Last edited:

t_mo_t

Don't know, i saw that the Mux-120 was loved by many so i bought it and don't regret it a bit! It's big, but it fit in my Antec 300 case so ;)

Hyperthread is good if you do video/audio compression, file compression or any phsysic calculation. I myself do video compression, but with a I5 750 @ 4.0ghz it's already really fast (around 181FPS with my DVD to H264 converter)..

hummm i will take that into consideration.... although it looks so similar to the TRUE that i have, might as well get a s1156 bolt-thru kit for my TRUE... lol

I would say it is for multitasking yeah but that's just my 2 cents.

btw I have the coolermaster 212 and if you run 2 fans it's awesome. See the HWC review for numbers

yup, i did look at the review u guys made, it's awesome!! if i have some change, i'll try it... never tried true copper base before... had to lap my TRUE to get to that copper... :punk:

if the 775 cant keep up with what you need, hyperthreading all the way. if it can still do it, then start off with the video card(altough i d wait a bit)

it's showing lagginess ..... but then again, it might be some other stuffs that keeping it slow.... my PSU is hovering @ 4.9V (for 5V) and 12.7V (for 12V) is that normal though?

no one talk about the raptor... change me that for a SSD, Intel if 80 gb is ok or the Vertex, or similar if you need 120,

lol... been thinking about that, but not a priority for me.... yet.... in the near future, i will get one for sure, until the price is right.... C300 that is and thus the sata6 mwahahaha... but then, i will have to wait for other ssd with sata6 that will bring that c300's price down.

I think for most multitasking, even the quad i5 750 is great. I had one for a couple of months and it was very snappy even when heavily tasked (4ghz). The i5 750 is also easier to overclock and runs cooler than the HT i7 860. I went to the 860 only because folding -bigadv units requires 7 to 8 threads.
The i5 750 may be the best bang for the buck although,..
the Intel Xeon X3440 is pretty interesting at $225 from PEOnline - 2.53ghz quad w HT & turbo. May be an even better deal. I'm going to have to read up on the X3440.
P.s. More RAM is good. I found that 8gb preforms better than 4 in Win 7 when really busy.
2c

i saw it on rfd too, it seems that it's 19x as opposed to 20x in i5 750 vs 21x in i7 860... and i looked at this thread in AT
i5 750 vs i7 860 vs x3440 which one to get - AnandTech Forums

it's quite cheap for an "i7" but the overclockability to 4ghz is questionable? what is the higher-than-average BLCK for i7 with HT on normally??
comparison from intel's website
Intel X3440
vs
Intel i7 860

it seems that there is i7 860s with the same clockspeed as x3440... but selling at a higher price than 860.......:doh:

Latest posts