What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

[SOLVED] PC Freezing During OS Install

katmando1036

[SOLVED]
Replaced both sticks of RAM and system installed fine. :bananafunky:

Memtest passed with 0 errors though so not sure why RAM was an issue.

Time to throw this computer in the lake! I've been trying to get windows installed on this computer for way too long, problem is constant freezing during OS install.
Here's what I've tried so far:
Installing onto SSD.
Installing onto HDD.
Installing onto SSD in a different computer (This worked but once I moved the SSD back into Rig 1 it would not boot windows, just a black screen with blinking _ .
Tried using various installation media; windows 8.1 disc, windows 10 disc, windows 10 usb drive.
Tried 3 different GPUs,
Did a memtest that found zero erros.
Reseated CPU.
Tried loading with just ram stick 1.
Tried loading with just ram stick 2.
Did a complete teardown and rebuild, no apparent visual indicator of faulty or damaged hardware.
Reconfigure sata cables so that im only using 2 instead of 4 (one to HDD and one to dvd drive) and then tried installing using various sata cables.
CPU Burn test seems to run fine.
Windows 7 USB did not work.

currently:
Downloading Ubuntu

Plan to try:
Installing RAM from working computer.
Purchase new Mobo/CPU

notes:
mob: asus m4a79t deluxe
bios printed on mobo: 686 amibios en64 8634

CPU: AMD Phenom II Quad Core 905E
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6970
SSD: Intel SSDSA2M080G2GC
LG BluRay Player
PSU: Ultra V Series ULT-500P 500W 500 Watts Desktop Switching ATX12V

Last edited:

Shadowmeph

how are you trying to install is it Disk ? sometimes if it is a burned disk it could be that the disk if the problem and you would need to burn a new one and as slow a rate as possible, if you are updating via online to a newer version that also can be a problem same goes for the usb updating to a newer version of windows

katmando1036

I have tried installing a windows 8.1 DVD, windows 10 DVD, and windows 10 USB drive, all have the same problem; freeze during install. This is a fresh install, drives have been formatted and partitioned on each install attempt.

KaptCrunch

is your hardware firmware up to date, check bio's and update if needed by MB instructions from the manual

like shadow said maybe bad OS data yes bad optical drive will give this symptom

katmando1036

is your hardware firmware up to date, check bio's and update if needed by MB instructions from the manual

like shadow said maybe bad OS data
I did flash the bios to the latest version, is this what you meant?

The reason I suspect the OS data is fine is because I've used the official microsoft tool for making windows 10 bootable dvd/usb and neither worked, nor did the windows 8.1 dvd.

KaptCrunch

I hope you got the correct flash for some MB model's have REVISIONS on MB that change chips like swapping a chevy motor to ford engine while keeping same model name. look for printed on MB RevX.XX to make sure got correct flash file

katmando1036

I hope you got the correct flash for some MB model's have REVISIONS on MB that change chips like swapping a chevy motor to ford engine while keeping same model name. look for printed on MB RevX.XX to make sure got correct flash file
Even with this information I don't see separate bios update downloads for different revisions of the mobo?

mob: asus m4a79t deluxe rev 1.02G
bios printed on mobo: 686 amibios en64 8634

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A79T_Deluxe/HelpDesk_Download/

MARSTG

what about a win 7 usb disk? I hope you got the right bios, as the Phenom X4 905e is supported only by the last revision, 3303. When it boots, you should be able to see the bios revision, unless it boots with that Asus wallpaper.

Last edited:
Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter