What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

*SOLVED* Power supplies are getting eaten like skittles

orcrowing

Reply down below, TL:DR, powered USB hub was the culprit, nothing is dead.

Original Post:

Hey Gang,

looking for some advice on this one, please. I have now lost 2 power supplies in 4 days on a build I did in March of this year.

Specs:
i4770 stock
MSI z87-G45
16 gigs of AMD ram
EVGA GTX770
Corsair HX750
Crucial M500 480GB as OS disk
Seagate 3TB X2 in a mirrored storage space for storage.
Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD

When I first put this build together, I lost a power supply on it right away - never powered up, but I had bought a TX750v2 and figured I had a lemon. Returned it for the HX750 which was now conveniently on sale, and I've been happier than a pig in sh!t ever since.

Then Monday rolls around, computer won't wake from sleep via USB, ok, it happens, power outage or something, no bigs. Hit the power button on the case, nothing, no LEDs in the computer, nothing.... crap. PS is dead.

Pick up a new one (another HX750) and pop it in Monday night, things are now working great- I resat the processor, new AS5, RAM, graphics card during the process as well.

Tonight, I get back and the same thing has happened. I had my computer in sleep mode from windows 8, and now it won't boot. No power again. I have my computer on a cyberpower UPS thats only about 2 years old and self tests fine.

Any thoughts? Obvious answer is a short somewhere, but it would seem to be a very weird failure mode to take 3 months and then 3 days of use to manifest itself as a dead PS. Short on the -5VSB perhaps?

What should my next steps be? Is it time to swap the motherboard? what's my next move? Obviously the budget is going to start to get angry if i'm popping power supplies every couple days.

Any help is greatly appreciate!

Last edited:

KaptCrunch

I have my computer on a cyberpower UPS thats only about 2 years old and self tests fine.
SAVE YOUR MONEY AND UPDATE BIOS

with msi live-update

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0> <TBODY> <TR> <TH style="WIDTH: 100px"></TH> <TD style="WIDTH: 200px">2014-06-05</TD> <TH style="WIDTH: 100px">Version</TH> <TD style="WIDTH: 200px">1.8</TD></TR> <TR> <TH style="WIDTH: 100px">Size</TH> <TD style="WIDTH: 200px">5.98 MB</TD> <TH style="WIDTH: 100px">File</TH> <TD style="WIDTH: 200px"><BUTTON class=btn>Download</BUTTON></TD></TR> <TR> <TH width=80>Description</TH> <TD class=des style="WIDTH: 400px" colSpan=3>- Improved Intel Rapid Start Technology function.
- Enhanced MSI M-Flash function.
- Improved system resume function.
- Improved 4TB HDD Compatibility.
- Updated BIOS Code.</TD></TR> <TR> <TH width=80>Note</TH> <TD class=des style="WIDTH: 400px" colSpan=3>You must use the following methods to update this BIOS.

- Use MFlash to update "BIOS + ME"

- Use MSI LiveUpdate
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Note: make sure your have the correct motherboard and it's revision not version for msi has same model # but different hardware with motherboard REV:x.xx that's printed on MB

you may reset bios by remove power cord and try to start to drain power then reset bios for it to boot again

Last edited:

LionRed

Website
mahutaweather.no-ip.org
Did you try these suspected dead PS in another computer? If you could, I would verify that the PS is kaput in another PC. If it works in another PC, I might be concerned that it could be the MB dying a slow death. With every new PS you put in it just happens to work for a bit. I had a bad MB do this every time I would troubleshoot it by taking apart reset..try parts. The computer was dead (every once in awhile) after hitting power button, then I would "fix it" and it would run a week or a couple months.....damn thing took a freaking yr to finally die die!

The UPS could be another concern if it is not a pure sine wave . I've read that a non pure sine wave UPS can stress power supplies in a computer and other equipment(or perhaps it isn't as much of a problem as I have read). Pretty certain this is only when running off the UPS batteries (?).

Bond007

Maybe a bad connector? Just a guess, but maybe a connection is bad either in the connection or in the solder that eventually looses contact. Are you positive the PSU are dying? Try reseating every connection.

Otherwise maybe a short, or your UPS is feeding your computer garbage power.

marty007

Invest in a good quality PSU tester, I suspect your case might be the culprit. Could be a loose connection on your power button as well. My other concern would the AMD ram in an Intel system...

orcrowing

So, I'm an idiot.

Basics of troubleshooting - remove accessories.

I added a powered USB 3.0 hub to the system on Sunday, just a cheap one from Canada Computers, and it turns out that there is no blocking diode on it - it was sending power backwards to the computer and must have been shorting out the -5VSB. Removed that, cycled power on the supply, presto bango we're back in business.

Turns out the old power supply wasn't dead either. (guess who has an HX750 for sale in Ottawa!)

Thanks for the quick help guys. I'll go back to my corner now.

KaptCrunch

So, I'm an idiot.

Basics of troubleshooting - remove accessories.

I added a powered USB 3.0 hub to the system on Sunday, just a cheap one from Canada Computers, and it turns out that there is no blocking diode on it - it was sending power backwards to the computer and must have been shorting out the -5VSB. Removed that, cycled power on the supply, presto bango we're back in business.

Turns out the old power supply wasn't dead either. (guess who has an HX750 for sale in Ottawa!)

Thanks for the quick help guys. I'll go back to my corner now.
good to hear its sorted

seems CC strikes again cheap usb accessories. forgot about had same issue with a card reader

orcrowing

Glad to hear it's resolved. But how on earth did you have it connected so the you were shoving power into the computer?
USB hub into USB port on the back of the computer. I'm not sure how else to connect a USB cheap hub so that it wouldn't be able to back feed.

Twitter