What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Some questions and advice needed for first build

blubberboy

First Gaming pc I am going to build and I want to use these parts that costs about $750, and I'm trying not to go over $800-$850. I already have a monitor, a a keyboard, mouse and every other accessory I need.
I found this build from this video

I've done a lot of research already but is there anything I should know about any of these specific parts before I buy, and are there better alternatives? I am not biased towards any specific brand.

Is it worth it upgrading the power supply to 600w, or a least one with a better efficiency rating, even if I am not planning to overclock it, or play that many high demanding games? Also are fully or semi modular PSU's a better option, if I'm trying not to go over $800?

For the ssd, are M.2 NVME ssds always better than a SATA, and will a cheaper SATA ssd be smarter to get? Or should I get an hdd and a ssd with less storage, that both add up to 1TB?

I am fairly certain there are no compat issues, and is it necessary to buy a better cpu cooler? Again I'm not planning to overclock it.

Thanks.

Bond007

Quality nvme are always better than sata. Cheap ones can be pretty bad at times. I would spend a little more on a better ssd...bang for buck models are often on sale like:

hp ex920 or ex950, Adata sx8200 or sx8200 pro, Corsair mp510, a Sabrent rocket and silicon power drive (I forget the model numbers off hand)...there are others but all much better options.

the build is solid as is, however, you could consider going to a Ryzen 2600 and b450 motherboard. This would give similar performance to the 9400f, but have a better upgrade path later. Your call.

that power supply is ok, but fairly low end. It would require spending more to get what I would consider a decent one. Cheapest ones lately seem to be seasonic focus, focus plus, or antec earthwatts gold (based on seasonic focus). I would opt for a 550w model for that build.

blubberboy

Quality nvme are always better than sata. Cheap ones can be pretty bad at times. I would spend a little more on a better ssd...bang for buck models are often on sale like:

hp ex920 or ex950, Adata sx8200 or sx8200 pro, Corsair mp510, a Sabrent rocket and silicon power drive (I forget the model numbers off hand)...there are others but all much better options.

the build is solid as is, however, you could consider going to a Ryzen 2600 and b450 motherboard. This would give similar performance to the 9400f, but have a better upgrade path later. Your call.

that power supply is ok, but fairly low end. It would require spending more to get what I would consider a decent one. Cheapest ones lately seem to be seasonic focus, focus plus, or antec earthwatts gold (based on seasonic focus). I would opt for a 550w model for that build.

The i5 has a lower core clock of 2.9 GHz, compared to Ryzen 2600's 3.4, but the i5's limit is better than the Ryzen's. The Ryzen is also almost $30 cheaper on Amazon. Is a higher overclock of 4.1 compared to 3.9 that much more necessary when I'm probably not gonna be straining the processor that much anyway?

It really seems like the Ryzen 2600 with a b450 motherboard is the better option than the i5 and Z390, considering their both 6 cores. Plus with the cheaper Amazon price of the processor, I could upgrade the psu to a 600w power supply and still have around the same budget as before.

Can I get some confirmation that this is the better option? Thanks for the suggestion.

moocow

Hardware Unbox did a test of R9-3950X on B450 board, some work better than other. If you pick the right one, you can easily drop a 3700, 3900 or 3950X into it a few years down the road when they start showing up on used markets. The problem with the i5 is that the value just isn't there. While it's absolutely faster in games compare to the R5-2600, you have less thread count (6 cores & 12 threads in R5-2600 vs 6 cores & 6 threads in i5) and less upgrade options. Add on the Intel security patches, I bet the performance gap won't be as big as they are in the benchmark. Sure, they aren't as important for a home user compare to a small business user but it's something to consider.

gingerbee

oh, yell yes I would go the AMD route saves some cash and great upgrade options in the future when ryzen launched they were all so good for performance and bang for the buck there's no intel left in my house beside's a Chromebook from years ago I use for movies on the go.
plus with the launch of zen 2 in a few years you could upgrade and keep rock away fro many years to come. 100% AMD in my house now and the gaming number are not a huge difference

Latest posts