What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Sound Card Advice

Bujanx

I hear you pretty much always want to go with creative for gaming. If I was doing music editing or whatnot I would run a M-Audio card or maybe a turtle beach card.

b1lk1

Creative cards are junk. Th ey sound like crap. Most new onboard solutions sound better. There are many better sound cards for good sound quality out for under $100. Even $40 on a Creative card is a waste of money. EAX is going the way of the Dodo as OPEN AL is the way of the future. Creative is gonna get EAX shoved up their ass by game designers since they want to make games for surround sound but not code it that way. Any soundcard with the last 2 C-Media chipsets will outright humiliate anything Creative ever made. Period.

G

Creative cards are junk. Th ey sound like crap. Most new onboard solutions sound better. There are many better sound cards for good sound quality out for under $100. Even $40 on a Creative card is a waste of money. EAX is going the way of the Dodo as OPEN AL is the way of the future. Creative is gonna get EAX shoved up their ass by game designers since they want to make games for surround sound but not code it that way. Any soundcard with the last 2 C-Media chipsets will outright humiliate anything Creative ever made. Period.
I think I read that exact same post @ EOCF. LOL

G

Well, i guess i'm going to be the black sheep in the lot and not recommmend a creative card. Gaming aside you would be better off getting something from auzentech. Now while somthing like the x-meridian is probably out of your budget (around 160 bucks) the good ole x-mystique or x-plosion (when on sale) would defintely fall in the under $100 budget. The advantage of these cards is that while they may only support eax 2, they can rencode the input into a dd or DTS bitstream. This is espcially nice if you have a reciever or digital speakers that has a toslink fiber optic connection. I have owned both the x-mystique and x-meridian. Another thing that i don't think the creatives can do is my xmeridian can out put a multichannel signal at 192khz/24bit.

And if none of this sways you the drivers for the auzentech cards are easy and quick to install.

Just my 2 cents.
Looks like we might get the best of both worlds @ the end of the month.

http://www.auzentech.com/site/company/press.php

M

Misoprostol

C-media based cards would be a mistake right now because they won't work properly in Vista ever. That's why Auzentech is switching to Creative.

sswilson

Staff member
I'm pretty sure the issue with c-media chips and vista is related to gaming under DX10.

M

Misoprostol

sswilson has hit the nail on the head. That and everything is done in software on those C-media cards. Sure, they're working, but you might as well be using onboard.

sswilson

Staff member
It's a DRM issue.

Drivers will only run if microsoft says they are allowed, and any software based DRM drivers are not going to be given the green light to prevent folks from being able to modify the software to get around DRM.

That's my understanding anywise......

Robscix

My X-Meridian works perfect in Vista. Might aswell use a onboard?
Have you ever heard a X-Meridian? They are quite hard to beat in there price range. For straight head to head test for music and movies the X-Meridian eats X-fi's..yes all of them. You can say the X-fi is better for gaming only becasue of EAX/OpenAL. Not eveybody uses these when gaming.

I think a few guys are misinformed as to EAX under Vista. It isn't gone.
Before we had the Direct sound API to render EAX. Vista does not have the Directsound API. If companies want in game effects they have to go with OpenAL as a API but they can still use that to render EAX effects. I hope I am explaining it right and it make sense. If your a gamer you are probably better of getting a X-fi or perhaps the new Prelude card from Auzentech.
The new card will have the gaming features of the X-fi line up with the phenominal sound quality of the X-Meridian. The X-Meridians are not for everybody because they are pricy and not really meant for gaming but you can game with them