What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Sound card for recording???

ok.. this is for you guys that do some semi serious recording...

i'm looking for a card that will be good for recording my mixes from vinyl..

i have an asus m2npv-vm right now with built in sound, but i'm probably gonna get a new motherboard sometime this summer. after i get a video card. the one thats built into the board that i have clips every time that i try to send the record out from my mixer to it.. i have a limiter but it only works sometimes.

so.. whats a gooder for recording??

i need to get some mixes out this summer so i can make some easy cheddar when i go back to school in the fall

sswilson

Staff member
I'd imagine that USB sound devices suffer from the same issues that USB video devices do. They tend to either cut off due to bandwidth saturation, or are self limiting in quality O/P I/P to prevent bandwidth from being an issue.

How are you hooking up your current USB sound device?

When I was using my laptop as my main computer I had a Creative Audigy2 NX (USB) running off of it, but made the mistake of trying to run it off of a USB hub with my Keyboard & Mouse also plugged in.

I finally gave up my original plans of streaming music from a USB external drive (firewire wouldn't work... but that's a different story...) into the computer and then back out to the Audigy2 NX..... I was just asking too much from the USB port.

the only things that i have in the usb ports are an wireless network connection and a webcam.. when i hook up the mobilepre it works fine.. its one of the channels that has some kind of problem.. sometimes it clips and sounds bad on the one channel and sometimes its fine and the other channel works perfectly. the only reasone that i need to use the usb device is because if i use the direct line in on the built in sound card the signal is too loud. weather its from my amp or from my mixer. with the interface program that i have it can't limit the signal enough to get rid of the cliping.

as for the problem with the mobilepre device, i'm pretty sure that it has something to do with the gain knob for the bad channel. as far as i can tell there are no loose connections so its probably a bigger problem like something with the circuit board.

thanks for your input though

Robscix

I would say go M-Audio but, what is your budget and you have to have a little more of a idea of what you want for input and output. This is where I would start. Although disregard the Revos' they aren't really cosidered recording/production cards.
You have the Audiophile 24/96 which is a great starter card for recording.
all the way up to the 1010 and 1010LT...
what software are you using?
multi track or single wave editor?

yeah. i was looking at the maudio cards. they seem pretty good. right now i'm just using cool edit. it does the job for me right now. i think that the audiphile 2496 is the one that i was thinking about getting after looking around a bit. i just wanted to see if there was anything in particluar that people here use or recomend. thanks by the way

Robscix

Cooledit is a great application. That is why it was bought out and renamed Adobe Audition. I still use that aplication extensivly. The Audiophile 24/96 would be great for what you need. If you think you need a card with a little more I/O go up the ladder a bit to the Delat 44 or 66 or the 1010LT..that is one nice soundcard. Alot of I/O to play with....

Latest posts