What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Sound card recomendation

Jibs

Thanks for all the info. I'm not sure how much i'm looking to spend yet, i guess once i get some recomendations I will start looking into how much I will need to spend to get a card that will work for me.

Jibs

Jibz, i definitely didn't mean to steal your name. This is actually the first time i've come across someone using the jibs/jibz nickname

michaelubc

Asus Rog Phoebus Looks like a pretty wicked sound card. Anyone with actual experience with this card care to chime in?

Slik

I tested the Xense and Phoebus with my Tiamat 7.1 analog headphones,and of course,set the cards to 7.1 analog. I also tested both cards in 5.1 analog. I tested my trusty Psyko Carbon's with both cards too. After playing several games,I found the Phoebus sounded better than the Xense in 7.1,and the Xense better than the Phoebus at 5.1. I prefer the Phoebus with the Tiamats at 7.1 analog for gaming. The Psyko's didn't sound as good as the Tiamat's when in 7.1 with the Phoebus. I think Asus had 7.1 analog in mind when they designed the Phoebus. All in all,the Phoebus is a great card once you figure out navigating the software settings.

elmorejohn46

I used to buy the best sound cards but now I just use my video card as my sound card and I think it works great occourse I have it going though my AV Home Sytem so that makes it sound even better.

Hacksaw907

I used to buy the best sound cards but now I just use my video card as my sound card and I think it works great occourse I have it going though my AV Home Sytem so that makes it sound even better.

If all you're doing is using a digital format to transfer your sound, ie. HDMI or toslink, then yeah, a sound card won't benefit you one bit. If, however, you're sticking to typical 3.5mm/RCA jacks to output sound, then a sound card can be very beneficial.

Robscix

If all you're doing is using a digital format to transfer your sound, ie. HDMI or toslink, then yeah, a sound card won't benefit you one bit. If, however, you're sticking to typical 3.5mm/RCA jacks to output sound, then a sound card can be very beneficial.
That is not quite true. Even though you are using digital, you can still pass the card features through digital to your external device. Many times, onboards will also have very shotty digital outputs, very jittery and imprecise.

For example, many of the best gaming audio systems I have seen use a gaming card and pass the features through digital to a higher end DAC or receiver. This way you have all the features of the card but have higher quality sound in comparison to just the cards DAC's.

On the other hand, if you have a higher end modern soundcard, you would be better off running analog to many receivers as many modern soundcards would have superior DAC's in comparison to what is available on receiver S/Pdif input section.

Latest posts