What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Sound stopped working on Windows 10

- Xeno -

Hi all. I'm new to Windows 10 and I think i recall myself accidentally disabling or uninstalling something related to audio in settings, everything seemed fine at first, until i adjusted my volume while watching a video and it entirely cut off all audio from my pc. I've tried restarting and uninstalling my audio driver but that didn't work. Help would be much appreciated!!

KaptCrunch

what are using motherboard sound or sound card? or TOSI

also what motherboard would be helpful

On2wheels

I've had my system mysteriously change my sound output device to my microphone (possibly related to a system update a few weeks ago). Check yours in sound management.

MeLeMko

As On2wheels said, check your output device. That's the most common issue.
Do you have a sound card installed? Did you try connecting another speaker to the system?

Dwayne

I have seen the inputs change on their own too. If you have a monitor that you hook up with hdmi or display port, and your video card supports it, HD audio could switch to the monitor speakers, for example, on a driver update. It would help to know your set up, MB sound? Sound card? etc. Also what the hook up was, audio jack (minty green), optical, etc. What speakers... it sounds simple to ask, but there are so many variations it is impossible to troubleshoot without details.

For example, I have an Asus P8Z77-Pro V MB and I am using the on board audio. I have it hooked up to an LG soundbar using an optical cable. I have a Gigabyte GTX 1070 video card with HD audio, but I don't install the drivers because I had them take over and mess up my sound before. I use a Display Port (DP) cable to hook up the sound card to the monitor, and my monitor's on board speakers are turned down to zero.

Gonzo

Had the same problem after switching default format in Playback devices. Nothing fixed it. Had to recover Win 10 to old setup. This was with an Audigy Rx card.

Latest posts