What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Speaker recommendations

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Before buying new, I would have looked at the used audiophile market: https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/. Same for an amplifier, I'd see what is offered nearby before buying new. Audiophiles are anal about their gear.

Bought and sold a few times over there. Good experience.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/classifieds/26-bookshelf-speakers/?filter=&province=BC&price_min=&price_max=&photo=N&show_other_marts=N

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/classifieds/56-solid-state-integrated-amplifiers/?filter=&province=BC&price_min=&price_max=&photo=N&show_other_marts=N

Last edited:

Prickly007

Thanks for the suggestions JD (and 3.0charlie)! The NAD D3020 was almost exactly what I was looking for, but the crossover frequency- look ma, I learned a new term :haha: - is potentially a little high. Manual was somewhat vague.

I think I found the best compromise, a Yamaha integrated amplifier (A-S301). It's got an optical in and a sub-out, which attenuates signals over 90 Hz. Plus, if I understand correctly, it could be made to work with my computer and TV, if I ever want to upgrade my soundbar to a pair of passive speakers. Either I would need an optical switch, or just change the input as needed.

Only real down side that I can see so far-still over-thinking everything- is that it's huge.

After more time last night than I care to admit.... All the small desktop-style amps mentioned at overclock.net, etc that I had wanted to buy either lacked an optical in, had misleading specs or were of dubious quality/longevity.

Bond007

Thanks for the suggestions JD (and 3.0charlie)! The NAD D3020 was almost exactly what I was looking for, but the crossover frequency- look ma, I learned a new term :haha: - is potentially a little high. Manual was somewhat vague.

I think I found the best compromise, a Yamaha integrated amplifier (A-S301). It's got an optical in and a sub-out, which attenuates signals over 90 Hz. Plus, if I understand correctly, it could be made to work with my computer and TV, if I ever want to upgrade my soundbar to a pair of passive speakers. Either I would need an optical switch, or just change the input as needed.

Only real down side that I can see so far-still over-thinking everything- is that it's huge.

After more time last night than I care to admit.... All the small desktop-style amps mentioned at overclock.net, etc that I had wanted to buy either lacked an optical in, had misleading specs or were of dubious quality/longevity.

Looks solid to me... Yamaha tend to be a very warm clean sound, so I would think it would pair well with the klipsch speakers (klipsch are a bit bright, so you wouldn’t a bright amp with it).

Curious what the self proclaimed audiophiles think.

JD

Staff member
I'm by no means an audiophile, but that Yamaha A-S301 is roughly the same size as a full 5.1+ AVR, what's the reasoning behind not using an AVR?

I use a Sony STR-DN1050 for my computer setup as it's what I had in the living room before I moved to 4K/HDR. I run it in "pure direct" mode with 5.1 speakers and use DD Live encoding on my Soundblaster Zx over optical. Before that, I ran a cheap Harmon Kardon AVR700.

Maybe it's just cause I have cheap speakers? I have Klipsch C-10 center and Klipsch B-10 bookshelves, rears are from my old ProMedia Ultra 5.1 set, subwoofer is a 8" downfiring Martin Logan. Sounds good enough to me though and goes way louder than I'd ever need :whistle:

Prickly007

what's the reasoning behind not using an AVR?

If I had a spare AVR, I'd be using it too.... Having said that, a generic answer is an integrated amp has a single function, while AVR have multiple ones. The result of that is more internally generated noise, i.e. a higher THD value.* Integrated amp is therefore more audiophile-ly. :haha:

* How much this matter is, I am guessing, a whole other issue.

In the case of Yamaha, I read today that the S series is built to a higher standard than their AVR V line.

Guess it can't hurt to take a closer look at an AVR or two, not only are they cheaper but Crutchfield only ships M-F anyway. Soon I'll be overthinking my overthinking. :shok:

edit: missing word

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter