What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Speaker recommendations

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Why don't we deviate this back on topic about recommendations, and not stray in to who you know that has got a larger pocketbook, please?

If OP wants advice about what's mid range or not, I'm sure he can clarify what his pocketbook is.

Prickly007

Someone should tell Pat's Audio that the 1990s want their website back. :bleh:

As the first post stated, my budget is/was ~1000 Cdn. As things stand, the speakers, a hundred feet of wire, an optical cable and an A-S301* will come to $1,001.70 after taxes. Damn it, there's my budget blown to hell. :haha:

* I still plan to listen to a receiver/talk to the sales guy tomorrow, but I am pretty much decided (as I found a few well written, knowledgeable reviews that had the exact same set-up and everyone was happy). Should be a decent upgrade from my current Klipsch Promedia 4.1s.

Bond007

Someone should tell Pat's Audio that the 1990s want their website back. :bleh:

As the first post stated, my budget is/was ~1000 Cdn. As things stand, the speakers, a hundred feet of wire, an optical cable and an A-S301* will come to $1,001.70 after taxes. Damn it, there's my budget blown to hell. :haha:

* I still plan to listen to a receiver/talk to the sales guy tomorrow, but I am pretty much decided (as I found a few well written, knowledgeable reviews that had the exact same set-up and everyone was happy). Should be a decent upgrade from my current Klipsch Promedia 4.1s.

Nice. Hopefully you are happy with it...keep us posted!

Prickly007

First impressions from playing a few FLAC files- using S/PDIF out and the receiver's pure direct output- is bloody hell this sounds good. Sinatra's Drinking Again sounds totally different; I lack the (audiophile) vocabulary to actually articulate what I am thinking/hearing.

Nevertheless, the positioning likely needs tweaking. The other thing that immediately stood out is my old speakers, which are still on my desk, look like mini-me. :haha:

Prickly007

Some days they sound like shit, others sublime. I've been repositioning them everyday: on my desk, straight ahead, on my desk, angled inwards. Then I repeated the same test, but with the tweeter @ ear level and so on.

In front of my desk, tweeter @ roughly ear level, sounds the best by far... still experimenting with modifying the sound stage.

Edit: Amp could power a pair of speakers if I ever want to replace my TV's sound bar. But with all the research I did, I discovered that the correct set up (for optical out) is Xbox to soundbar, not TV to soundbar. Making the change made a noticeable improvement in my TV's sound, so I likely would buy another pair of RP-160m's.

Last edited:

Bond007

Glad you are enjoying. After this thread I had to go listen to some klipsch speakers again (it’s been a while)...not sure what it is, but I still find the treble a bit too sharp on them. A lot of people like it, so it’s obviously personal.

crazyea

Many thanks. You found a local shop that carries budget equipment... I spent almost an hour on Google looking for AV stores in metro-Vancouver and only ever came up with high end stores. Return policy is only thirty days compared to Crutchfield's sixty days, but I can live with that (as there wouldn't be any shipping charges).

These guys are pretty good, and sometimes have great deals. https://www.ayreborn.com/

I personally just use a Denon AVR with a Velodyne sub and 2 Q-Acoustic book shelf speakers. Before that I use the xbox spherex speakers with my sub which was also really good.

Latest posts

Twitter