What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Speaker recommendations

Prickly007

As you may have read in my recent thread, Bond007 put the idea into my head that it maybe time to upgrade my current (almost twenty year old) Klipsch 4.1 speakers. :haha: I've been further researching options online, but audiophile discussions are not exactly the most helpful.

When I was at London Drugs today, I wandered into the audio department and the clerk recommended the Audioengine A2+.* When asked what's above that, he dismissed the Klipsch R-15PM- PCGamer's top choice for high end computer speakers- as they have a tendency to hum when not being used (something I had previous read) and recommended The Sixes. Total overkill, but so is a $1,000+ GPU. :whistle:

* Bood007 also endorsed these, as well as the A5+.

I've got the space for a 5.1 setup, but, as usage is ~75% music and ~25% gaming, a 2.1 or 2.0 (w. a sub out) is the preferred option. No idea on the whole passive vs active- I do want these speakers to last for a decade, if not longer.

In light of what The Sixes cost, say the pre-tax budget is ~1,000 Cdn. Additional funds can be found at a later date for a separate subwoofer, if needed.

Edit: Headsets are a complete, total non-starter.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
music is about more than loudness...you need reproduction and soundstage!

of course, the source of your audio will also affect what you should buy. if you're playing 128bit MP3's...then getting too good of speakers will only show the flaws.

of course, for a proper setup, you will want a good DAC and amp, if they're not powered speakers. the Schitt stack is still considered the best for under $500 for DAC and AMP.

enaberif

music is about more than loudness...you need reproduction and soundstage!

of course, the source of your audio will also affect what you should buy. if you're playing 128bit MP3's...then getting too good of speakers will only show the flaws.

of course, for a proper setup, you will want a good DAC and amp, if they're not powered speakers. the Schitt stack is still considered the best for under $500 for DAC and AMP.

I'm aware... but you need some degree of loudness to fill a room with proper sound imaging and reproduction.

Prickly007

What size room are you in?

~12 x 40 feet (basement rec room)... computer is at the one end with roughly five feet behind my chair.

Collection is ~2/3 (and growing) FLAC files, with the remainder being various odd file types and mp3s of varying quality that I've been unable to find a better copy of. Some of the latter are twenty years old.

of course, for a proper setup, you will want a good DAC and amp, if they're not powered speakers.

But do I really want non-powered speakers? Certainly it's a more upgradable path, but... the last time I bought speakers was such a simpler time! Speaking of which, does anybody know a store that has models on display/listening room in Vancouver?

BTW, is Schiit stack the actual model name? I can't find it on Amazon.com

Bond007

That is a decent sized room. I stand by the A5+ and a sub as a tried and tested bang for buck setup. There are similar options available that are very good, but many of them will require a dedicated amp. Are you interested in a full amp+speaker setup, or do you want powered? Also, there are better speakers available (some KEF/Elac options come to mind), but you pay big bucks for a much less notable improvement in quality. Depends if you want high quality bang for buck, or if you want to push into more audiophile costs.

Let us know your preferences for some well suited options.

Could pair the a5+ with the audioengine s8 if you want a matching set. The only limitation would be if you listen really loud...then you may want a dedicated amp/speaker setup.

EDIT: forgot to say that while there are better subs than the s8, the size or price will have to go up. Also need to know if you have space constraints.

Last edited:

Latest posts