What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Speed up your internet...

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
I found this great free proggie. TCP Optimizer.

SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads

Set your isp's advertised speed and it will optimize your windows settings for that speed.

I went from 7400 to 8600 kbaud on the speakeasy speed test after I ran this and optimized it for my 10mb shaw nitro service.

DK2

what? no drunken raid on bell's head office.. poo

Jmac

Note that if you're using Vista, do not use this.

Vista dynamically handles TCP/IP settings.

enaberif

most of these things never really make any noticeable difference anyways.

So do at your own risk and always back everything up.

miggs78

Actually I used this program few months ago, maybe even last year on XP Pro, and I did notice a difference. It basically optimizes some stuff, I think there is also a guide around to get the most out of this software,... somewhere...

BrainEater

It really depends how you are connected to the internet as to whether this will help or not.

These optimizers generally increase the MTU size (Maximum Transmission Unit (packet size)).....now while larger MTU's will improve bandwidth efficiency , they can also add 'lag' ....

Now , if your computer connects directly to a modem or goes through a router that uses 10 Mbit ethernet connections , it'll probably help.

But , for example , in my case , my computer connects to the internal network and router at 1 Gbit , and the router connects to the modem @ 100 Mbit.....so in my case PFsense is handling the TCP/ip to the modem , so an MTU tweak on a client machine does jack shit , windows already does that for Gbit....

It (PF) already pins my shaw Extreme I , typical download from the shaw backbone is 1.18 MByte/sec......

:thumb:

edit ; squeetard , I'm not 100% sure about your area , but in Calgary 'Nitro' is 25 Mbit.....my shaw Extreme I is 10 Mbit.

Last edited:

b1lk1

Even if you manage to gain some speed in theory, you still will not gain any real world speed due to the lack of any ISP allowing the full speed flow of data. I have 10Mbps internet and have yet to see over 1.5Mbps when downloading. Only once did I get a download (from Microsoft) that ran 2Mbps. Not worth the chance of data corruption for only "spiritual" gains.

Latest posts