What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

SSD for OS and Games

Stang

Hi Guys,

I Finally broke down and bought an SSD from the cyber Monday sale at NCIX. I want to use it for my OS and BF4 and keep my current 1TB HDD for apps and storage. I have a few questions if you can help me out.

- When I Install Win7 on SSD, I assume I will have to install ALL drivers as well ? Or will they still work if on the HDD ?
- Can I just put a shortcut to my HDD apps on my desktop to access them ?
- I had 3 users on my old Win 7 acct on the HDD. Is there any way to transfer each users settings to the new drive ?
- I assume I can export cookies, email address's etc from old account and import into new ?
- Do I have to delete Win 7 from the HDD or can I leave it there as a back-up and boot from it when needed?
- Any advice or suggestions before I screw things up too badly.

Sorry for the NOOB questions, this stuff confuses the heck outta me. :doh:

Stang

lowfat

Staff member
You will have to reinstall all drivers. You will likely have to reinstall most applications.

If you aren't cloning your current OS to the new SSD then I am not sure there is a way to transfer users.

You can export cookies, and application settings by coping the C:\Users\[username]\appdata\ folder to the new system. The folder is hidden. It container pretty much all settings for installed applications and a lot of the settings for Windows.

You could leave the original OS on the HDD, just make sure you set which drive to boot from in the bios.

Stang

Well that doesn't sound too bad then. I will have to dig out all my driver files and organize what has to be re-installed. Thanks for the advice !

wedge22

If I understand you correctly then you could just clone the current HDD that contains your OS onto your SSD using an application, ie Acronis True Image, or do you only have one HDD containing all of you files and OS at this time?

enaberif

If I understand you correctly then you could just clone the current HDD that contains your OS onto your SSD using an application, ie Acronis True Image, or do you only have one HDD containing all of you files and OS at this time?

You can but I really would not recommend it. Fresh install onto a new drive is always better.

Stang

Right now I only have the one HDD with about 750 GB of info on it. The SSD I bought is 120GB just for the OS and BF4 so I don't think cloning is an option.

Latest posts