What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

SSD question.

Ken_C

Hello I have an older system that I reciently upgraded the video on it. I was also considering adding a SSD. Would my current system benifit from this.
Current Setup:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Processor: Intel Core Duo Q6600 @ 3.6 Ghz 1.4V
Motherboard: Asus P5K-E
RAM: Patriot Viper 8GB (1600)
Graphic: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5850 1000/1000
HDD:2X150gB WD Raptor Raid 0
Monitor: HP w2408h
Power Supply: SilverStone Zeus ST85ZF 850W
Case: HP Blackbird

I would use the SSD for boot + 1 game and the Raptors for Data.
My question can I still run the Raptors in raid 0 with a SSD for boot.
Also how much should I pay for the SSD. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Ken

Last edited:

gingerbee

yes you can and you have a few choice's here but i would say intel 80gb or the 40gb v series depends on your budget. there are other choices just this really seems to fit all needs size speed and support.

AkG

Very few systems dont benefit from getting a SSD upgrade. ;)

As for how much you should spend.....thats easy! As much as you can afford. :)~

What is your budget?
IF you are on a tight budget look at the Intel V 40GB. Decent speed, decent size, decent price
IF you have under 250 to spend. Get a Intel X-25M gen 2 80GB. Good speed, good size, great price.
If you have a lot more then that to spend....get a Vertex 2, Corsair Force F100, etc etc. Sandforce SF1200 controller based drives. GREAT power profile, good size....just damn expensive.

Perineum

I'm going to hijack this thread rather than just make another like it but my question should help the OP anyway..... perhaps?

I'm doing a build and I want to get a small (30 to 40gb is fine) SSD for a boot drive. I would like to keep the purchase at around or less than $150 if I could. I've looked at the Intel V 40GB. Anything else I should consider? Customer is currently using a 40GB boot drive and it's virtually empty so small SSD won't be a problem.

AkG

Its hard to beat the V for price to performance. The others like Indilinx and Toshiba based ones are a little on the low side for small r/w speed.

NOW with that being said the 60gb Vertex goes on sale for like 169. Which is also a good deal. :whistle:

The Destroyer

I believe they were on sale for $99 at Newegg a month or so ago. If you want cheaper just wait for a sale.

Latest posts

Twitter