What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

SSD: SATA Port Not Running as SATA 3?

geokilla

Got a Crucial M4 connected to a Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H motherboard and I just noticed the SSD might be running in SATA 3 mode. According to POST, it shows the SSD as 1.5G compatibility while the HDD is 3G compatibility. I swapped ports and cables but no luck. The BIOS is the latest beta BIOS and the firmware on the Crucial M4 is the latest one as well. I've checked the BIOS settings as well and there is no switching between SATA the different SATA standards either.

AkG

Run atto benchmark and see what the drive is maxing out at WRT speed with large chunks. If its in comp mode it will plateau pretty damn quick. If it is pull the drive and test in another system. IF still in comp mode, phone and RMA it as its wonky and going to fail.

MARSTG

That mobo does not have Sata III/6G has only sata II/3G first of all. On sata II Crucial M4 will top at around 185MB/s writing at least the 120GB version. And I assume a M4 is long out of warranty by now.

AkG

Depends on when it was purchased as I saw a bunch for sale as late as last year. IE never assume its OOW until its proven OOW. ;)

geokilla

Run atto benchmark and see what the drive is maxing out at WRT speed with large chunks. If its in comp mode it will plateau pretty damn quick. If it is pull the drive and test in another system. IF still in comp mode, phone and RMA it as its wonky and going to fail.
I don't think my Crucial M4 is failing. If anything, I'd say the motherboard, RAM, or CPU is going first, since I just got 3 errors in Memtest. What kind of large chunk test should I use though? I'm guessing 64MB transfer sizes and 32GB transfer lengths? I'll try running that once I am able to pass Memtest and OCCT again. I think my motherboard, RAM and CPU degraded over the past 5 or 6 years. Maybe even 7 years...

That mobo does not have Sata III/6G has only sata II/3G first of all. On sata II Crucial M4 will top at around 185MB/s writing at least the 120GB version. And I assume a M4 is long out of warranty by now.
Thanks for correcting me. The SSD is only running at SATA 1.5G according to POST while the hard drive is at SATA 3G speeds. Yeah it's out of warranty so unless Crucial wants to do a goodwill exchange for me, with no receipt since I've had it for at least 5 or 6 years, then I might be out of luck.

Last edited:

AkG

Leave atto at it stock settings. see what it peaks at. Easy to figure out if its 1.5 or 3 ;)

AkG

Yup. Looks like in the gremlin system its running in S3 not S1.5 mode.

Latest posts

Twitter