What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

SSD shortage?

JimboToronto

Has anyone else noticed that there seems to ba a shortage of SSDs on the market?

I walked into a Canada Computers store expecting to have my choice of 120GB Indilinx SSDs. The best I could get on the spot (for someone flying to Australia the next day) was a 64GB Torqz.

I found that NCIX isn't doing much better. Prices are up despite a stronger Can$ and many SSDs are on order only A walk up and down College Street yielded nothing.

Ebay listed a couple of 120GB Vertex in the $500 range. Weren't these selling for $350-$360 a few months ago?

Where'd all the SSDs go? Are people finally catching on? Let's hope so. Mass production will bring lower prices.

Now I need another one. I guess I'll spring the $499 for the Mac Edition 120GB Vertex up the street. I need something before the weekend and it's there now.

Funny, while the price of the regular Vertex has risen, the price of the Mac version has fallen. We laughed when the Mac version cost $130 more. Now the difference is $20, barely more than the shipping.

I just hate to think that Steve Jobs is getting any of my money.

gingerbee

your not alone it seems that everyone is short on ssd supplies EDIT i forgot there a new indilinx controller out so they may be redesigning do to that ) comes in the falcon 2 series so far

JimboToronto

>>>there a new indilinx controller out so they may be redesigning do to that<<<

I'm a little out of the loop. Is Jetstream ready? I thought it was still a few months away. Besides, it needs SATA3 for its bandwidth.

Or is this an incremental improvement on Barefoot?

_____

Edit. From what I can see the Indilinx ECO is just a 34nm Barefoot.

Last edited:

gingerbee

not sure what the upgrade is all about only falcon 2 has new controller i think and i don't think there out yet ( you can back order them yes ) really don't know much about it think it's still the barefoot just a revision. but akg might know more
EDIT the torqx have a ten year warranty not to bad and there pretty fast 220mb/s read

AkG

Right now we are in the cross-over stage between "2nd Gen" drives powered by the Indilinx Bigfoot controller, Intel X25-M gen 2, etc and the "next gen" drives powered by Sandforce controllers, Indilinx bigfoot replacement (Jetstream) and eventually Intel 3rd gen. I wouldn't be too surprised to see some of them start to be announced in early January at the 2010 CES. Sata 3 (well really 500mb/s until a reall sata 3 controller can be made and not the Marvel chip kludge) powered motherboards are starting to trickle unto the marketplace so why build a bunch of expensive drives now, when in a couple months they will not only be considered last gen....BUT cheaper to make ;)

Interesting times are indeed ahead! :)

Latest posts

Twitter