What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

SSD temp files question

Shadowmeph

I have been using SSD drives for a while and I have always ( on my Windows 7x64 OS) moved the Temp and tmp files to a separate drive trying to limit writes to, save space etc. well today while I was installing and configuring my Thebat! email client I noticed another temp file folder located in the "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp" so now I am wondering if moving my temp file folder from the "C:\Windows\Temp" was just a waste of time because the "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp" seems to have allot more inside it. what are your ideas on this?

lowfat

Staff member
Don't worry about it. I have my doubts you'll ever see SSD NAND die before the controller. The lifetime of NAND has been HUGELY underrated.

The \Appdata\Local\Temp is the actual Temp folder on a computer. It is used eleventy times more often than C:\Windows\Temp.

AkG

NAND life is underrated only when peeps understand to leave lots of room free. Its not over rated by the avg joe who doesnt know better than the fill it up.
Its also over-rated when talking about SF drives which have ultra low write amplification. Its not over-rated when dealing with say older Indi drives with a 8 - 10 X write amp.
Its also over-rated when the drive has tons of over-provisioning. Its not when there is no spare blocks ready to take over for dead blocks.
Its also over-rated if you plan on upgrading it every couple years. Its not if you expect to run it in a rig for 5+ years.

Honestly, if you plan on replacing it within the warranty period for a new drive I wouldnt worry about the temp file all that much. It is burning erase cylces but its doubtful you will kill ANY of the blocks before you yank and replace with a faster model. ;)

Latest posts