What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

SSD Upgrade- What should I use to transfer my files?

concinnity

My 60GB SSD is simply too small and has run out of space. Before I pull the trigger on a new one (Crucial m500 240GB), I want to know how I should go about transferring my OS and everything else without having to reinstall Windows, if at all possible.

thnx

sswilson

Staff member
Since you already have a Seagate HDD in your system the free Seagate version of acronis should do the trick for you.

Bond007

My 60GB SSD is simply too small and has run out of space. Before I pull the trigger on a new one (Crucial m500 240GB), I want to know how I should go about transferring my OS and everything else without having to reinstall Windows, if at all possible.

thnx

Have you already purchased?

MARSTG

Some SSDs come with some cloning software but I would just go installing everything from zero.

proxy

My vote has been consistently for the MX100s (can't beat that price), otherwise the Samsung EVO is good and economical as well.

If you clone, then just make sure you do a full image backup to a separate storage device first.
Afterwards go through the steps of fixing the sector alignment (Acronis may do this for you), BIOS settings (AHCI mode), and OS settings (AHCI registry settings if not on already, TRIM on, Indexing off, Defrag off, Prefetch/Superfetch off etc.)
Lots of guides online if you Google, such as this one:
How To Migrate Windows 7 to a Solid State Drive

Latest posts