What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

SSD wear-leveling and partitions

baov

I have a question that i've been asking around the net but found no answer to. Here it goes:

If i partition my SSD, will the drive's wear leveling still apply to the whole drive or to individual partitions?
I would suppose that it would still apply, being at a lower level than MBR and the such. But i need a definitive answer. No guesswork, i can do that myself.
This is important cause i want to protect the OS partition with a write filter, but still have the ability to make changes to my data partition without having to commit change in commandline everytime.

MpG

I can't speak for the authenticity or reliability, but this topic came up HERE. I'm inclined to agree, however. Wear-leveling is transparent to the OS managing the partitioning, so I expect it would occur across the entire SSD, regardless of how it was partitioned.

Latest posts

Twitter