What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

SSD's in RAID 0 too fast??

kruzn4evr

Hi All, been awhile since I've posted on HWC but I could use some assistance from the collective minds of the best computer site on the net (shameless buttering up!).

Here's the specs:
i7 4790k 4.0GHz (no OC)
Corsair H100i
Asus Maximus Hero mobo (updated to 2012 BIOS)
G-Skill Trident X 2400MHz 16GB
MSI GTX 980
Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD x2 in RAID 0 OS drives
WD Black 4TB data drive
Corsair AX860i PSU
Windows 7 Ult.

So here's the issue I'm having, it will post just fine but then sometimes it boots to windows and sometimes it doesn't and have to reset, even then, sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. If I power right down, go into BIOS and just save and exit without making changes, it boots into windows...sometimes. If I install updates or a program where a restart is required, again, same thing. I've tried everything I can think of from no extras, just the SSD's, one stick of ram etc. to reinstalling windows and everything in between including the 1104 BIOS but still seems like its hit or miss on whether it'll boot to windows. Its annoying and driving me nutz because of how random it is.

So, my question is, could RAID 0 SSD's be too fast during boot?...they run at 915 read and 937 write after a few tweaks, it seems like a silly question but I've honestly run out of things to try....any suggestions would greatly be appreciated :thumb:

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

BlueByte

I would say you have something else going on, its onboard RAID so I doubt it a conflict with a addin card and a gpu/NIC. My desktop has 8 SSDs in it and I think it benches around 2.8-3.2, real world results are 1.5-2GB/s VM work. I do not get non booting issues with that system. I would test the drives individually before getting to excited with anything else, I seem to have bad luck with intel SSDs.

enaberif

You have issues elsewhere.. be it the ports your using.. the drives your using or something else. RAID will never cause Windows to NOT load unless you have a hardware failure somewhere.

kruzn4evr

I knew it was a silly question...lol...I've done enough builds with SSD's in RAID and never had this problem. I have tried different ports and cables as well, I'm thinking my next course of action would be to try installing windows on each SSD individually and see if either drive ends up with the issue. When it does boot to windows everything runs flawlessly, it's mostly after something is installed or uninstalled and requires a reboot.

clshades

You could try forcing a slower boot time in the bios and give things a couple more seconds to load up correctly. Just a thought. It's a simple enough thing to try before blowing up the OS

kruzn4evr

So I've tried everything, tested all the parts in 2 other rigs, no issues there. I decided to reinstall Windows and only install the basic chipset, lan, usb and gpu drivers, no other mobo drivers or utility programs and things appeared to work fine, loaded to Windows every time including all the windows updates. I then loaded things one at time and sure enough the issue was back. It appears the Asmedia sata drivers were a big part of the problem IMO. After testing with more of utility apps etc. I decided to do one more Windows reinstall, this time without the Asmedia drivers and sure enough, things worked much better, but....yes, BUT!...the problem is still there on occasion after everything else was loaded up. I think I found a setting that seems to work well enough to let the client take it home for a test run and see how it goes but I'm pretty sure he'll be calling sooner rather than later.

Another thing I noticed was after installing just the chipset, lan, usb and gpu drivers and then rebooting, the network for internet was recognized within 4-5 seconds and bingo, you're online. As I installed the remaining drivers and utility apps it started taking 2-3 minutes to identify and connect, not a huge deal but still, doesn't seem right.

enaberif

So I've tried everything, tested all the parts in 2 other rigs, no issues there. I decided to reinstall Windows and only install the basic chipset, lan, usb and gpu drivers, no other mobo drivers or utility programs and things appeared to work fine, loaded to Windows every time including all the windows updates. I then loaded things one at time and sure enough the issue was back. It appears the Asmedia sata drivers were a big part of the problem IMO. After testing with more of utility apps etc. I decided to do one more Windows reinstall, this time without the Asmedia drivers and sure enough, things worked much better, but....yes, BUT!...the problem is still there on occasion after everything else was loaded up. I think I found a setting that seems to work well enough to let the client take it home for a test run and see how it goes but I'm pretty sure he'll be calling sooner rather than later.

Another thing I noticed was after installing just the chipset, lan, usb and gpu drivers and then rebooting, the network for internet was recognized within 4-5 seconds and bingo, you're online. As I installed the remaining drivers and utility apps it started taking 2-3 minutes to identify and connect, not a huge deal but still, doesn't seem right.
Perhaps I'm blind but you haven't stated anything... You ARE running the SSDs on the Intel ports correct? And any other drives on the Asmedia ports correct?

Latest posts

Twitter