What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Star Citizen with be around 100GB in size to download

Ravenor

Please see the Link

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/4591962/#Comment_4591962

100GB to download and patches to be around 14-20 GB. HOLY CRAP!

I don't know what everyone else thinks but that is massive. I know that the game looks absolutely amazing but that is unreal. I hope they think of the people with download caps and put the game out in packs to download instead of just one big file. Or even better, offer DVD's/BluRay's to buy with the game on it. I know that's old school now for PC's but it might just be worth it to save monthly download caps.

SiDiX007

That is one HUGE B&@#H lol. I only get 300gb/month, i guess i wont be using my internet for over a week after downloading this

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
This is positively ridiculous. Seems someone needs to teach folks about file compression.....

Ravenor

This is positively ridiculous. Seems someone needs to teach folks about file compression.....

Couldn't agree more. I can understand up to even up to 60 GB. 100GB is more than a lot of peoples download cap for a month. Making people wait a month before play a game they paid for is very bad planning. I do hope they come up with an alternate method of providing the game.

SKYMTL

Staff member
20GB patches also points to a "we're launching this in a completely broken state....but here's a massive patch to may fix some things".

The worst part about this is the file size is being bandied around like a POSITIVE aspect. Even notwithstanding bandwidth caps, how in the world is it a good thing?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
You guys sound like the days of Floppys to CDs to DVDs to Blu-Rays. :haha: "I had to walk uphill both ways to school!"

Internet packages are (finally) beginning to loosen up, and bandwith limits are rising. For an extra $10 a month I get unlimited, and heck, I live in the middle of nowhere.

I see digital distribution as the in comming solution of the future. If there is a demand for it, companies will give us a service to match. Netflix has pritty much been the driving dominant force behind rising bandwith packages I would guess.

SKYMTL

Staff member
I don't understand what difference that makes Sagath. There are plenty of games out there and even ones that are yet to be launched that arguably have just as many, if not more resources than Star Citizen.

Witcher 3 is a prime example at just 40GB despite its over ONE MILLION lines of dialog, high resolution textures and persistent world. It is able to stick to such a small size since it will be downloaded via compressed packets which will, when installed, expand to encompass a 50GB+ footprint. That to me is the definition of progress; using different techniques to deliver optimum results in a bandwidth-limited world.

This isn't about pushing the boundaries of technological progress. Its the exact opposite. The download and patch size points towards a possible lack of optimizations somehow being pushed as a marketing "mine is bigger than yours" point. I'm not saying that's what is being done but where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

Personally, I can't wait for this game but I'm not spending another dime on it. I'm in it for Squadron 42 and that's pretty much it. 50 missions has me salivating.....paying hundreds for "lifetime insurance" or virtual ships has me dry-heaving. ;)

Ravenor

.....paying hundreds for "lifetime insurance" or virtual ships has me dry-heaving. ;)

:doh: I already fell into that honey pot, but have stopped thankfully.

Internet packages are (finally) beginning to loosen up, and bandwith limits are rising. For an extra $10 a month I get unlimited, and heck, I live in the middle of nowhere.

Just because we can download it, doesn't mean that we want to. I can understand purely download the patches but the original game should be made available on media of some sort. Now that i think about it, it is. RSI had some game packages that came with a USB key that was supposed to have the game on it. I guess those are going to be 128GB drives.

WhippWhapp

People are nuts giving cash to a guy who has over-promised and under-delivered on every project he's been attached to since Vengaboys blew up.

Latest posts