What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Star Citizen

Lysrin

Just learned a bit more about the reputation system in 3.12. They have implemented the initial version of persistence for bounty hunter missions. So that means in those mission chain, where you progress and then get offered more difficult and financially rewarding missions, your progress is saved between log ins. You don't have to log in and start the mission chain from the beginning every time.

This is a big deal for me because now, in those times when I have only a little time to play (more often than not), I can go in, do a few bounty hunting missions and accomplish something without losing it on log out. Before I would keep the money earned but that's it. You still have to complete the mission in order for it to log to your reputation. So you can't log out in the middle of mission yet and pick up where you left off on next log in. But you can complete missions in the arc and then pick up from where you were overall.

That's a great step and an aspect of persistence I've been really looking forward to. There is already a fair amount of persistence in game; money, rented ships and ship components, armour and weapons, cargo, etc. But mission and reputation persistence means you can start feeling like you are doing something in a narrative rather than just mining or hauling cargo, for example.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
So... Is this game not a scam yet? 🤣

Tbh, charging money for a game that's not finished should be made illegal somehow. Force developers to commit to a minimum level of full game completion, aka "going Gold", *Before* it is allowed to even accept money for their game.

I mean, the makers of this game have gotten hundreds of dollars from Many people for *A Ship*... In a game that's not even close to being finished yet. When will anything Actually progress here?

I'm so glad they don't have a penny of mine 🤷‍♂️

Lysrin

Sheesh @CMetaphor you're missing the point here. This game was a Kickstarter game remember? The only reason it exists at all is because the people who wanted it to be made chose to chip in and fund it. It's not a company that took people's money and didn't deliver. It's a company that took people's money and is delivering significantly more of the game we want with every patch.

You don't have to choose to fund it, that perfectly fine, but don't get confused about the development/funding model.

Those of us who have been in the game for a long time, or those who seriously follow the development progress, understand how much functionality there is in the game now. Even those who support it, like me, have certainly been frustrated with development from time to time but every patch makes it more the game I've been waiting for.

Soon I'll have it and Elite Dangerous Odyssey. Don't know how I'll find the time for them both but it's a great time to be a space sim fan! 😁

Lysrin

3.12.1 is now live, bringing with it the first big dynamic event called "XenoThreat" that will be rolling out in stages and missions as I understand. 3.12.0 was also a big patch.

Just keeping everyone up-to-date :p

Video for Assault on Stanton - XenoThreat:

Full message from XenoThreat :D

This is the link with the event info and the phases being revealed as they progress.

Last edited:
G

And here we are almost 7 years from when the thread was started, still no game but alpha/betas.

Stop and think about that ppl, the cash that has been thrown at this game is insane for what it is.

Dont get me wrong ppl that spent money mostly seam happy but I dont think there will ever be a official "release", I mean why? Just roll out more betas and hit up for "donations".
If it has worked for you for at least 7 years than yeah why change?

Just my .02

Lysrin

And here we are almost 7 years from when the thread was started, still no game but alpha/betas.

Stop and think about that ppl, the cash that has been thrown at this game is insane for what it is.

Dont get me wrong ppl that spent money mostly seam happy but I dont think there will ever be a official "release", I mean why? Just roll out more betas and hit up for "donations".

Just my .02
That's why I like to keep updating so everyone gets a chance to put out their two cents... Again! lol Good to keep the conversation going.

Soultribunal

Staff member

Just my .02

SG,

If there is one thing I am glad I didn't get into, it was this game.

When I was playing competitive WoWP, the entire squadron was all "Lets get in on SC now, buy ships, spend $$$$$". I know guys spending $2k plus on pixels in a game that isn't even released yet. Thankfully, I was never one of them.

I know there are supporters, but man, they are milking people for money. It should almost be illegal. But its not, as I am sure they have legal disclaimers protecting themselves.

-ST

Lysrin

OK... I'll bite. I know I shouldn't but I will anyway :D

Have you guys actually been following development? You can buy almost all available ships, armours, weapon and ship equipment upgrades, weapons, etc. in game now with in game money. And they have persistence for that type of purchase, even though still alpha. The last several patches we have retained everything we have purchased with in game money. So at this point you can purchase a game package with real world money and then earn your way to pretty much everything available. It'll be wiped at various stages, it is alpha, and at launch so everyone starts fresh, but that is all expected.

Sure spending big money on a game isn't everyone's cup-of-tea, and that's cool. But its only an issue if there is no return on investment. If you have been paying attention to game development progress at all, you'd see that isn't the case here and the volume of game play and features added with every patch has continued to increase. They've delivered way more than a lot of other early access games.

It really perplexes me why people get bent out of shape by this game so much, given the myriad of other pursuits people dump their money into... ?

Soultribunal

Staff member
OK... I'll bite. I know I shouldn't but I will anyway :D

Have you guys actually been following development? You can buy almost all available ships, armours, weapon and ship equipment upgrades, weapons, etc. in game now with in game money. And they have persistence for that type of purchase, even though still alpha. The last several patches we have retained everything we have purchased with in game money. So at this point you can purchase a game package with real world money and then earn your way to pretty much everything available. It'll be wiped at various stages, it is alpha, and at launch so everyone starts fresh, but that is all expected.

Sure spending big money on a game isn't everyone's cup-of-tea, and that's cool. But its only an issue if there is no return on investment. If you have been paying attention to game development progress at all, you'd see that isn't the case here and the volume of game play and features added with every patch has continued to increase. They've delivered way more than a lot of other early access games.

It really perplexes me why people get bent out of shape by this game so much, given the myriad of other pursuits people dump their money into... ?

I get it Lysrin, and I have followed some of its developments.

Its the companies development model that is the problem.
If you look at games upcoming , like Total War for example. When I put $80.00 down onto that game, I know that, within this year barring any unforeseen circumstances, I will have a game to play.
When I bought a founders pack for MWO, I knew that I would eventually have a game to play (and it didn't take long).

This game has been in development for what, 8 years now? And Yes, there has been strides taken to make it a game.
But there is nothing in there that makes it a complete picture, or even 3/4 of one like basically any other game out in existance or upcoming to date.

From the outside looking in, it seems like a great waste of capital.
I am all for paitence (we knew TW:W3 was coming but it was delayed, and waiting 2-3 years is okay at times) but 8 years? That's bordering insane.

-ST

Lysrin

Yes, but lets consider Cyberpunk 2077 as an example by comparison. Estimate is it was in development for 8-9 years. It's scope is large but not as large as SC by any stretch.

After all that time in development, it still had a less than ideal launch, with many people pre-ordering, and varying opinions as to whether or not people got their monies worth at launch or not. They have done a great job I think at stepping up to fix the issues, contrary to what some people predicted they would do after they had people's money. This is not bashing Cyberpunk -- large and innovative games are complex and hard to develop. So SC's development timeline for the scope of the game being delivered? Not surprising.

Difference with SC is we have seen every choice, misstep, and success openly since the beginning. Very different than closed development. And people who back the game have chosen to be the "publisher" so to speak and to bear the risk for the game they want to be made and to play. And we having been playing it, hundreds of hours, for a long time now.

Frankly, I just don't see the issue. I haven't felt deceived or misinformed by SC development at any point in the process. Sure, I've been disappointed by the progress by times, I WANT ALL THE THINGS NOW! :) but when the deliveries come, whew! I'm sure glad to be able to play them. And now anyone can for the price of a game package, and earn things in game, thanks to the extra money various backers have put in.

I know. This is an agree to disagree situation. That's cool.

Latest posts

Twitter