What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Star Citizen

implosion222

OK... I'll bite. I know I shouldn't but I will anyway :D

Have you guys actually been following development? You can buy almost all available ships, armours, weapon and ship equipment upgrades, weapons, etc. in game now with in game money. And they have persistence for that type of purchase, even though still alpha. The last several patches we have retained everything we have purchased with in game money. So at this point you can purchase a game package with real world money and then earn your way to pretty much everything available. It'll be wiped at various stages, it is alpha, and at launch so everyone starts fresh, but that is all expected.

Sure spending big money on a game isn't everyone's cup-of-tea, and that's cool. But its only an issue if there is no return on investment. If you have been paying attention to game development progress at all, you'd see that isn't the case here and the volume of game play and features added with every patch has continued to increase. They've delivered way more than a lot of other early access games.

It really perplexes me why people get bent out of shape by this game so much, given the myriad of other pursuits people dump their money into... ?

I think it's the attachment that people have on how long this game has been around. Without doing actual research on this game it's easy to look at it and say that this game has been in development for a decade and everyone that paid money into it should feel really bad about themselves .

I've personally taken a step back from it and check up on it once in a while. I've bought the ships I wanted a long time ago and I'm not planning on buying anymore until the game is released and in the meantime I've got loads of other games to keep me occupied.

Truth is , this company is very new in the grand scheme of things. It's easy to complain that x amount of progress isn't done when y amount of money is being added to the company but developing a game of this scope takes time, a lot of it. No matter how much money you throw at it , it won't be as quick as people want it to be. Hiring good talented developers/Artists/Network Engineers ect. is a long process that's still ongoing to this day and will go on even after the game is released.

Like Lysin has mentioned , there are several ships that can be earned in game now and the gameplay loops are coming in more frequently with every patches they release. It's a slow process , I won't deny that. I found myself burnt out a while back waiting for mechanics or ships to release but to say that this game offers no gameplay at all or that it's simply a "demo" would be false.

I'm torn about the crowdfunding because on one hand it secures money that they'll need to run this company for years to come but at some point it has to stop or at least disable the ability to buy ships with real money. In the early days they've mentioned that a specific amount of in game currency could be bought on a monthly basis with real money and that would be enough to keep things running . I guess time will tell, I am somewhat puzzled as to how they're still bringing in 100's of thousand's of dollars every week with no ship sales but I remain optimistic as this shows that even after all those years there are a lot of people out there still interested in playing this game.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Yes, but lets consider Cyberpunk 2077 as an example by comparison. Estimate is it was in development for 8-9 years. It's scope is large but not as large as SC by any stretch.

After all that time in development, it still had a less than ideal launch, with many people pre-ordering, and varying opinions as to whether or not people got their monies worth at launch or not. They have done a great job I think at stepping up to fix the issues, contrary to what some people predicted they would do after they had people's money. This is not bashing Cyberpunk -- large and innovative games are complex and hard to develop. So SC's development timeline for the scope of the game being delivered? Not surprising.

Difference with SC is we have seen every choice, misstep, and success openly since the beginning. Very different than closed development. And people who back the game have chosen to be the "publisher" so to speak and to bear the risk for the game they want to be made and to play. And we having been playing it, hundreds of hours, for a long time now.

Frankly, I just don't see the issue. I haven't felt deceived or misinformed by SC development at any point in the process. Sure, I've been disappointed by the progress by times, I WANT ALL THE THINGS NOW! :) but when the deliveries come, whew! I'm sure glad to be able to play them. And now anyone can for the price of a game package, and earn things in game, thanks to the extra money various backers have put in.

I know. This is an agree to disagree situation. That's cool.

Not a good example in my eyes.
Cyberpunk didn't allow me to Dump $1200 USD on a package, and then continually allow me to spend more and more and more as they developed.
And if they did, they would have been lynched.

Makes me wonder if RSI is afraid of actually 'releasing' in lieu of the potential lawsuits if their 'investors' are not satisfied with the product.

I'd be good, even at 7-8 years of Development, if it cost me just price of entry. $80-150.. And that was it.
Once released, then sure, let the money roll in for those who want ships, and cosmetics. I am okay with that. I did that when MWO Launched and I was satisfied with the game play.

-ST

Lysrin

To @implosion222 's question, they still get money from subscribers. Not sure how much but likely a decent amount.

I agree @Soultribunal that the financial model is not the same. I was more comparing scope and time of development for that example. Your point well taken.

More ship concept sales is even a bit of a humour point for people who love the game. We certainly don't need any more ships for the gameplay that is in SC right now, but it is likely the biggest money earner for them still.

I think one of the big milestones for the process and for crowdfunding in this case will be Squadron 42. When that releases, if it wows people and provides the single player experience we all hope for, then that will make both backers and non-backers happy I would think. If that comes out and isn't amazing... well... that is going to be very hard for them to manage.

The concern I have had for a while with the timeline is simply when do you decide that the tech is good enough. The game looks amazing right now, and that may carry it a long way. How much farther do you need to go when you are near photo-realistic. But if it takes another what... 5 years? to get all the main game loops in place in the persistent universe, not Squadron 42, and they decide well the game is looking old we need another engine revamp. That would be a tough pill for even the most supporting fan to swallow. I don't think they would do that at this point, but it is a concern.

Soultribunal

Staff member
To @implosion222 's question, they still get money from subscribers. Not sure how much but likely a decent amount.

I agree @Soultribunal that the financial model is not the same. I was more comparing scope and time of development for that example. Your point well taken.

More ship concept sales is even a bit of a humour point for people who love the game. We certainly don't need any more ships for the gameplay that is in SC right now, but it is likely the biggest money earner for them still.

I think one of the big milestones for the process and for crowdfunding in this case will be Squadron 42. When that releases, if it wows people and provides the single player experience we all hope for, then that will make both backers and non-backers happy I would think. If that comes out and isn't amazing... well... that is going to be very hard for them to manage.

The concern I have had for a while with the timeline is simply when do you decide that the tech is good enough. The game looks amazing right now, and that may carry it a long way. How much farther do you need to go when you are near photo-realistic. But if it takes another what... 5 years? to get all the main game loops in place in the persistent universe, not Squadron 42, and they decide well the game is looking old we need another engine revamp. That would be a tough pill for even the most supporting fan to swallow. I don't think they would do that at this point, but it is a concern.

The engine design is probably my biggest concern with their game model and development model.
Something that Eve Online players understand all too well. Because to the best of my knowledge they cannot port that game over to a new engine to fix the problems it is having these days.
And that is a game with a fanatical following. If SC takes too long, and the engine cannot handle it in 5 years on what it will take to play, they will be in an interesting situation for sure.

-ST

Lysrin

The engine design is probably my biggest concern with their game model and development model.
Something that Eve Online players understand all too well. Because to the best of my knowledge they cannot port that game over to a new engine to fix the problems it is having these days.
And that is a game with a fanatical following. If SC takes too long, and the engine cannot handle it in 5 years on what it will take to play, they will be in an interesting situation for sure.

-ST
They definitely need a win on the server meshing, iCache plans and tech. If that doesn't deliver as they are describing... well yeah... that'll be grim for sure.

Happy thoughts! lol

Soultribunal

Staff member
They definitely need a win on the server meshing, iCache plans and tech. If that doesn't deliver as they are describing... well yeah... that'll be grim for sure.

Happy thoughts! lol

Don't get my message wrong though. I want them to succeed, I want a space game like Eve and Elite to play and enjoy and dump money on.

However looking at it from a non-investor mindset, I am happy they don't have my money.

-ST

Lysrin

Don't get my message wrong though. I want them to succeed, I want a space game like Eve and Elite to play and enjoy and dump money on.

However looking at it from a non-investor mindset, I am happy they don't have my money.

-ST
Well, they have mine. I bought into the dream... lol

Another big risk for them now is Elite Dangerous Odyssey. I love Elite too, but up until now they've lacked the true role playing Han Solo type feeling. If Odyssey can deliver a lot of that gameplay, in an already billions of planets game, then that's a threat to SC imo. You won't be able to walk on all the planets in Elite, but even a fraction of billions is a heck of a lot of exploring and gameplay to work with. We'll see how that launch goes.

Upside is it may push faster delivery from SC, if they even have the capacity to do that.

Shadowmeph

when this first came out I was very iffy on it and now years later I am still iffy on it I wont spend any money on this until he final product is out.

Lysrin

when this first came out I was very iffy on it and now years later I am still iffy on it I wont spend any money on this until he final product is out.
A perfectly reasonable position I'd say. I only find it off-putting when people say I'm not spending my money on it, so neither should you!

But this has been an excellent exchange today :) We didn't get into that silly territory at all. Good discussion.

Latest posts

Twitter