What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Star Wars Battlefront II

Jokester

Well, tbf, there isn’t anything official from Disney, just rumours that they said to ea ‘can it’.

I mean I still wouldn’t buy the game regardless, but I have to wonder how long until people wind up the hate again when they realise unlocking the characters is going to take over 1 year at 8 hours a day of play time, with current reward rates.

Maybe this is the start of something against micro transactions and DLCs?

Who am I kidding. :haha:

Funny because people spent years plus unlocking gear in world of warcraft vanilla and didn't complain :whistle:

Prickly007

unlocking the characters is going to take over 1 year at 8 hours a day of play time, with current reward rates.

Ummmm, what? One can unlock a hero in an evening, maybe two for Vader. If that claim of over a year refers to unlocking every possible Star Card, why would you want to? A number, dare I say many, of them are pointless.

I've been playing for a few days now, plus ten hours from EA access, and already have largely kitted out Star Cards for both the assault and officer classes. I am not convinced that high level cards even make that big a difference, or it could just be that I SUCK!

Lysrin

If you get Google to define gambling definition 1 is: "play games of chance for money; bet."
and definition 2 is: "take risky action in the hope of a desired result."

Now perhaps the level of risk is debatable and will vary from person to person but spending your money (risk) buying a loot create or some similar thing with no guarantee of getting the "desired result" certainly seems to fit definition 2 imo.

I don't know how random what you get from this game is but it certainly is completely so in some other games and I don't think that is OK. I'm fine with micro-transactions for cosmetic items and the like, not game changers, and I have no issue with paying for DLC. We have paid for expansion packs in games for years and I am quite happy to support games I like. But day-one DLC and this kind of random purchase isn't acceptable to me.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Funny because people spent years plus unlocking gear in world of warcraft vanilla and didn't complain :whistle:

I think its a bit different there, since you're grinding XP/Levels/Gear IOT move up in content. That is pritty much any game, and COULD be BF2 as well. Peoples complaint is more against the Pay2win aspect, and lack of alternatives besides spending money, from what I understand.

Ummmm, what? One can unlock a hero in an evening, maybe two for Vader. If that claim of over a year refers to unlocking every possible Star Card, why would you want to? A number, dare I say many, of them are pointless.

I've been playing for a few days now, plus ten hours from EA access, and already have largely kitted out Star Cards for both the assault and officer classes. I am not convinced that high level cards even make that big a difference, or it could just be that I SUCK!

I stand corrected. It is to unlock and level all star cards AND all the characters.

It will take 4,528 hours of gameplay (or $2100) to unlock all base-game content in star Wars: Battlefront 2

For Min-Max'ers it is definitely a big deal. I know from many games I've played that any types of 'slot upgrade' make a huge difference between you and the new guy.

Anyways, dont get me wrong I'm not in on the giant circle-jerk of hate EA, I'm against ANY company that does this stuff. I've been adamant against preorders, locked content, and DLC's for years, and have mentioned it on the forums here dozens of times if not more. Sure, I purchased W3 DLC's, but goddamn, for $30 there was enough content (and hours played) that it could have been a sequel. THAT is how it should be done.

LaughingCrow

I haven't paid much for an EA game in a very long time, wish others would do the same.

Done. After EA/BioWare wrote off Andromeda, I wrote off EA and killed the account. No more Origin. For me Mass Effect was a great series that has now suffered 2 bad endings. I still have a few old games that have replay value that aren't bound to Origin to remind of the 'good ole days...'

G

Done. After EA/BioWare wrote off Andromeda, I wrote off EA and killed the account. No more Origin. For me Mass Effect was a great series that has now suffered 2 bad endings. I still have a few old games that have replay value that aren't bound to Origin to remind of the 'good ole days...'
Same last EA game I will buy.

Prickly007

I know from many games I've played that any types of 'slot upgrade' make a huge difference between you and the new guy.

The cynic in me thinks many of the Star Cards in Battlefront II were simply added to lower the odds of pulling the handful of cards that do make a noticeable difference, thereby encouraging more spending. I now have two epic cards and one rare card and was getting my ass handed to me last night by level zero players, with no cards whatsoever.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
So guys, I am torn here. Should I include SW:BF2 in upcoming reviews or not?

On one hand it is a beautiful looking game that showcases a lot of modern technology.

On the other hand, EA keeps screwing over purchasers. I feel like giving the game what amounts to free advertising is simply rolling over and accepting this.

Latest posts