What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Steam Autumn Sale is up

FreeKnight

CMetaphor

Quadfather
@Lysrin Opinions on SW squadrons and Ace Combat 7? I've considered both in the past and know you're a big flight/space guy. Squadrons I've been avoiding because 1) it's EA, 2) very few ships and 3) claims of lackluster co-op support (which is very important to me).

Ace Combat 7 seems more arcade-y but has higher ratings, but I have zero knowledge of the franchise or the game.

Care to educate us? Worth buying either?

moocow

Ace Combat 7 is okay, no native support for joysticks outside of the branded one so you have to go edit the settings in an ini file. There is a backstory for the universe that the game is set it but more of reading thing.

Lysrin

Well @CMetaphor I don't have a lot of info for you on either I'm afraid. I have avoided SW Squadrons as well because of reviews and a seeming lack of content in the game. However a friend of mine did buy and he is enjoying it. Said it isn't great, and the poor reviews aren't wrong, but if you go in with low expectations (or get it cheap enough) there is some enjoyment there. Curious though isn't it regarding the reviews. Some big names seem to like it, user reviews aren't great, the reviewer I like wasn't impressed. Quite a mixed bag. There were also a lot of issues with joystick and HOTAS support. Not sure if those have been fixed or not. I think I will likely pic it up at some point to see, but I don't know how cheap it will have to be.

Ace Combat 7 is a bit too arcade style for my taste in fighter sims. If you want something casual it may be fine. Good point from @moocow

Last edited:

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Ace Combat 7 is okay, no native support for joysticks outside of the branded one so you have to go edit the settings in an ini file. There is a backstory for the universe that the game is set it but more of reading thing.
That's... Pretty much a guaranteed no-buy from me now. How the heck can anyone release ANY vehicle games without some form of joystick support? In the olden days you've have full joystick support in car games (in case you really wanted to try it/wanted to use a joystick like a shifter/etc)!

Anyway, Ace 7 is a no-buy, and according to @Lysrin , Squadrons probably isn't cheap enough to be worth the risk right now.

... That's my steam sale options gone. Anyone have others to suggest? Sims? Action? Fps? Coop?

moocow

No they do support joystick, just certain ones natively out of the box. It's a console port after all. Right now, I don't have any POV control despite having a hat switch. As for FPS, have you seen Squad? Not as hardcore as ARMA3 but not as arcade-y like Battlefield.

Lysrin

Anyway, Ace 7 is a no-buy, and according to @Lysrin , Squadrons probably isn't cheap enough to be worth the risk right now.
Appreciate the vote of confidence :) but I haven't played it myself, so I am only passing on what is affecting my decision to buy it or not. You might play it and tell me I'm out to lunch! Right now, given all the other games in my "to be played" list, $32 is too much for it for me. But PC Gamer gave it an 83% review, so some people certainly like it. It still tempts me because of how much I loved X-Wing and Tie Fighter.

Even PC Gamer did say in their review though that the story was weak with little or no dialog choices. So if the story is important it isn't good for that. But they did like the space combat.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Except the space combat is what I've read is the weak link on the game 🤷‍♂️.
With only one shop per class per faction, the meta gets stale really fast (I've heard) and the gameplay repetitive. The example I read said that if the opponent team has a certain competence and right selection of ships, it's almost impossible to beat PvP and PvE becomes a joke...

Yeah, I'm staying well away from EA Games for a while yet.

Someday, SOMEDAY there will have to be a good flying combat game for capital ships and/or near-ground/atmosphere combat involving ships and soldiers. That's why I've got my fingers crossed ridiculously for odyssey 🤷‍♂️... But i have my doubts they'll deliver, given ED's track record.

Edit:
One of the best flight Games I ever played was BF3& 1942. Not a true sim per se, but being able to do anything from ferrying troops in a transport to ground attacks vs armor made you feel Special when flying. ED doesn't make you feel special, you grind for hours and hours and feel like you're in a trucking game with the difficulty turned off. Bleh.

On2wheels

Winter sale on now. Love this time of year, literally a month between these sales. Fall sale prices were some of the best all year, and I obsess about prices.

Nov 25 - Dec 1 2020

Obviously we have the game sale PSA thread, but figured I'd make a new thread since this covers a lot of games.

Latest posts

Twitter