What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Still waiting and drooling: 4700GE

CMetaphor

Quadfather
With all the RX6xxx news and Ryzen 5xxx desktop stuff happening, it seems to me like some may have forgotten a hidden gem GPU that's sadly only in the hands of OEMs (for now): the Ryzen 4700GE APU.

Its all this, on one chip, and I want one ever so badly:
- 8c/16t
- Vega 8 with 512cus
- DDR4-4ghz
... And only 35 Watts!!

Yep, I'm still drooling and hoping one day to make a custom ITX box for this proc, aka the smallest most powerful portable Mini PC evar!

Full info (from the best HW site for CPU info):
4700GE

moocow

Hmm you can't even get the 4700G (65w) in North America. It's $415 CAD in HK before getting ding for tax at the airport. 4650G is $290 CAD before import tax. Will probably have to wait a bit before they pop up on Aliexpress but the prior mentioned models are on there already just not sure if they are legit.

djbrad

I am just waiting for the équivalent on the 5000 series

fitbrit

The GE variants of even the 2000 and 3000 series were not available in retail channels, being used for embedded systems instead. Trust me, if the 4700GE were to be available, I'd buy about 10 of them. If/when it does become available, drop me a line and I will see whether I can get a volume discount and get one for you too.

djbrad

Can the 4700G be limited to 35w via ctdp in the bios to give you the same 4700ge performance?

That's what I did with my 2400g in my htpc. However, if both cpus are difficult to find / buy, do get the 4700ge.

I do hope we will get the ryzen 5000 apus (g / ge) revealed next month at ces.

Last edited:

moocow

🤔 I wonder if I should pick up a few of the Ryzen 5 and 7 G models next time I'm in HK. I need to swing by after the COVID thing is done anyway.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Can the 4700G be limited to 35w via ctdp in the bios to give you the same 4700ge performance?

That's what I did with my 2400g in my htpc. However, if both cpus are difficult to find / buy, do get the 4700ge.

I do hope we will get the ryzen 5000 apus (g / ge) revealed next month at ces.
you're just underclocking the CPU, so it shouldn't be a big deal. the only hiccup is the last I heard, AMD was promising to bring the underclocking features for the latest tech. so yymv.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Don't forget the raw graphics performance difference too!

A 4700G benchmark was once spotted running 2+ GHz on the GPU cores, and it beat the performance of a 1050ti. Considering its also carrying 8 cores and 16 threads, that's dam impressive!

I can't wait to one day make an emulator PC with just this CPU (or whatever similar modern version that can actually be obtained) an ITX or mATX board, and a nearly 100% passive cooling setup. Imagine being able to play everything from NES to PS2/360 games, as well as non-AAA steam titles, in a small tower PC that makes NO noise at all.

Ah yes, the drooling again..haha

Latest posts