What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Still want to be an MSI consumer?

clshades

I linked a laptop to someone recently, short of that, I see MSI anything, and I don't even look. I wouldn't touch another motherboard again after the last two back to back shitpiles. Not sure I'd want one of their laptops either. Jay says some good things here.

moocow

I was referring to the Nvidia caps boo haha as the other ant hill. What the MSI PR and marketing goons did was pretty bad but not like they are the first manufacturer to black list people or try to block a bad review to go live. Didn't GN and HU get blacklisted by ASRock as well?

Bond007

This type of stuff unfortunately happens by most companies to one extent or another. It does reduce my opinion of them as a company, but I usually play each purchase on a case by case/product by product basis...they all have better and worse products.

What motherboards did you have issues with? The last few builds I have done for people were all MSI B450 boards, and they were all great.

Izerous

Folding Team
-It wasn't just the blacklisting but the offering to pay to not publish reviews "because you still did the work".
-Other marketing shenanigans
-Power delivery and stability problems (but that is potentially all 3080 not MSI specific driver/bios updates seem to be doign the job though jsut with slightly weaker boost clocks?)
-CEO Suicide? I think officially it was marked as a suicide I didn't follow up on that.
-Videocard heatsinks that don't make proper contact (don't recall which GPU that was now) resulting in mass batches of faulty cards
-Now internal employee scalping

They are not having a great track record the last little while

But honestly at this point the fact that an "employee" was scalping cards and selling them at an official capacity doesn't surprise me anymore. Hellcats & GTRs were going well beyond MSRP. So to have someone inside of MSI selling off cards in MSI channels at scalping prices... people still bought them... isn't that partly the buyers fault at that point too. Early 2021 when they actually have inventory we will all laugh at how atrocious this launch was and how silly MSI was being.

moocow

IMO, it sounds like the guy was trying to make their own sales number look good by scalping cards that he was not suppose to have access to. I don't think the comparison to Hellcat and GTR is the right one because it's the dealerships that is scalping not the manufacturer. Dealerships aren't part of the manufacturer like Starlit is part of MSI.

As a consumer, you have the right to walk away. I'm just saying this particular situation wasn't as bad the community (not just HWC, I mean everyone) spun it initially. I do agree with you regarding the marketing crap they are doing and it gives me pause when I consider the next upgrade. But is MSI inherently more evil than Asus, ASRock, GB, Zotac? They are just the poo flavored ice cream of the quarter.

Izerous

Folding Team
The GTR/Hellcat isn't the best example it was just one of the ones that easily came to mind since they are supposed to be trusted and official sellers.

Entz

IMO, it sounds like the guy was trying to make their own sales number look good by scalping cards that he was not suppose to have access to
Yeah this it what I got from GN as well. MSI had no idea this was happening, they didn't know until the media started asking questions. Sounds like its literally 1 guy who does the ebay listing and possibly the manager who allowed it went rogue.

Not to take away from the things MSI has done but this is a bit overblown imo.

KaptCrunch

no different with WE program conflict of interest boils down to greed.

Atlest EVGA came clean over the cap's but MSI is mom