What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Strange Lockup

Jonesy

Hi,

So, last night I was playing Diablo 3 whilst on skype, and surfing the web. Out of no where the game locked up, however I was still able to communicate in skype as well as surf the web. About 1min later Skype logged me out, and the system then completely froze up, Blue screened and rebooted.

On reboot my SSD (Crucial M4 128gb) was not detected. I had to do a full power off, and not the reboot for it to be seen. This happened 4 times last night. There is no event viewer log, so I don't have much to go on. When I pressed CTRL-ALT-DLT to force a shutdown of D3, the windows splash screen said "Configuring security options" and I never got the normal list (lock, shutdown, task manager, etc) on the screen.

It sounds like an error with the SSD, but I am not 100% sure. I know it isn't the Marvel controller failing as my Raid is still visible while the SSD isn't. Has anyone had an issue like this before? It is the slow shutdown of applications that really confuses me about it. Skype didn't just crash, it did a proper exit as the audio file for the skype exit played.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks
Jonesy

Bungwirez

I've experienced this a couple times... same mobo and SSD. pretty sure bios ver 3402 (can check in AM...)
I don't have any idea why this happens, but mine was the same deal, light gaming then BSOD, then no apparent OS available on restart.

the only thing I did to fix, so that my boot OS SSD was recognized in bios, was to unplug it and change it to a different port.
and both mobo and SSD go back to working normally like as if nothing ever happened.

Personally, I've kept the Marvel controller off in BIOS and only use the inside two red SATAIII ports.
however, this did nothing to prevent this issue in the first place...

AkG

DL whocrashed and see what the error code was.

IF it was 0x7 and you are running Intel RST drivers....uninstall the drivers (and use stock MSAHCI drivers). It should fix the issue.

Shadowmeph

so D3 locked up it sounds like to me that the PC settings prioritized what uses the ram or bandwidth or both. so what it did is seen that d3 was using the most juice so it just basically paused it hehe also maybe it installed some updates when ever that type of thing happens it is a good idea to completely power down and wait a few seconds before rebooting that way if there is anything left in the ram or where ever stuff gets stored it will clear out.

Jonesy

I went to the crucial forums and figured out the issue.

After roughly 5100hrs the drive becomes unresponsive with older firmware.
I hadn't realized how far behind I was with mine. I was at firmware version 0002, with the current at 004h, after upgrading the firmware the system is 100%

Any firmware 0009 and older this issue will occur based on the input I received from forum members there.

AkG

Wow. Yeah that IS an old problem! Id forgotten all about the 'timer of doom' problem they had. :)~

Glad you figured it out.

Jonesy

I had not heard of the short life of the drives before yesterday, I had a pretty good laugh when I read that they time bombed the drives on older firmware.

I am not overly strong in programing at a machine code level, but I just can't see how on earth they managed to put something like this into the firmware. :doh: