What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

strange problem with 2.5gb network card

djbrad

The last thing to try before ordering a new network card would be to boot a linux distro (ubuntu, linux mint, etc) and test the speed.

If it's working all right, then it's a windows / driver problem.

gingerbee

Realtek vs Intel for 2.5GB cards I have never used intel ones but when I ask good old google I get people saying intel has had a few bad 2.5GB chips that's it

crazyea

I cant say that I have had any issues with Intel but I have had problems with Aquantia.

sswilson

Staff member
Looking through reviews on X570 and B550 motherboards recently I did come across at least one board that had credible complaints about the 2.5GB intel nic it shipped with.

OTOH, looking for NIC cards for Opnsense everything suggests sticking with Intel for drivers as Realtek nics aren't fully supported. (Might be fixed now.... I see there's a plugin specifically for realtek which I assume resolves those issues).

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Looking through reviews on X570 and B550 motherboards recently I did come across at least one board that had credible complaints about the 2.5GB intel nic it shipped with.

OTOH, looking for NIC cards for Opnsense everything suggests sticking with Intel for drivers as Realtek nics aren't fully supported. (Might be fixed now.... I see there's a plugin specifically for realtek which I assume resolves those issues).
There was a batch of intel onboard nic's that were (and are) problematic. Its not that well known about, and they did push a driver fix, but I dont think it totally solved the problem from what I read about it.

They ended up releasing a v2 of the chipset that eliminated the problem.

Of course, in typical Intel fashion, they never publicly acknowledged the problem.

Latest posts