What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

strange problem with 2.5gb network card

gingerbee

Ok so I upgraded to the bell 3gbps up/down fiber plan, now the problem I am having is a strange one because I have 2 pcs and the only difference is one has a 5900x/3060ti the other is a 3900x/2060 both have the same network 2.5gbps card added to them using the RTL8125B chip the 5900x pc is getting 2.3gbps up and down both pc are our cat 6 cable but the 3900x pc is only getting 1.1gbps down and 2.1gbps I can't explain why one is getting close to what it should yet the other is not getting it on the download side.

both pc are using Asus x570 tuff boards with 32GB of ram, which makes me think it's a driver or something but they both have the same drivers for the network cards.

anyone got a clue, I also get that it's not a huge deal just puzzles me

sswilson

Staff member
What are they plugged into? I don't know about the current Bell modem/routers, but the Rogers' ones only have a single 2.5GB port and that's dedicated to WAN from the ONT.

gingerbee

the gig hub and the home hub 4000 series are pretty much the same things just the gig hub has wifi6 whereas the other one doesn't I have the Gig hub and for ethernet ports, it has 1x10GB and 4x1GB ports, I have both pcs plugged into the Qnap 2.5GB switch which is feed from the 10GB port.

hence why I am able to get the max speed on the one pc but its the other one I can't figure out why its download is so much slower than the other pc when there right next to one another plugged into the same switch with the same cat6 cables and yes I have tried different cables I even switch them still the same number, which leads me to think its a driver problem.

any thoughts or hell a guess lol

sswilson

Staff member
What's the model number of the switch? Is it Unmanaged? (If it's Managed there also might be some QoS throttling going on, if it's unmanaged that wouldn't be something you need to check).

JD

Staff member
These are add-in cards? Have you tried swapping the cards between PCs then? Could be the one in the 3900X system is just faulty.

gingerbee

will check the duplexing and no I haven't changed them over, but that was the only other option I thought about it was getting 1.5gbps this morning before the upgrade so I don't think it's the network card but I could be wrong of course.

thanks for all the hints all, pretty sure I will be grabbing a new 2.5GB card soon since I will need a few more over time.

the other weird thing is now none of my mapped network drives will show up on the other pcs in fact none of my PCs will show up under networking in win10/11 since the upgrade and I have hunted around in all the network settings for the gig hub and can't find anything besides the only thing that I am unsure of is the switch that says let bell optimize you wifi network I assume this means putting devices on the wifi it thinks they should be on IE the 2.4/5/6 bands automatically

gingerbee

ok so I set the card to 2.5GB full duplex and it helped a tiny bit but still not near what I should have. the investigation goes on lol

its unmanaged switch QSW-1105-5T, Qnap

Does anyone recommend a 2.5GB network card that doesn't cost an arm and leg, so far I have been happy with the units I have but wondering if others have ones they like, there are a couple of cheap ones on amazon but they use the same realtek chip i have don't really know shit about network hardware

Last edited:

gingerbee

well, I got my networking share working again, all I did was turn file sharing on and off, bang it all started working. still have lower speed so will be grabbing another network card.

my understanding is common speeds for cards that I would want are 2.5/10gbps no other options I guess?

JD

Staff member
Aquantia used to sell their own cards directly, but since Marvell bought them out, they've disappeared. I have a AQN-107 that's worked great and updated the firmware on it a few times now. I think these are Aquantia based:

Rest seem to be Realtek based from unknown companies? But really, a RTL8125B card can be had for like $30 on Amazon, hard to justify the above.

You could also try running these commands to reset the TCP/IP stack in Windows:
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset

Presume your using the latest drivers from Realtek? https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

Latest posts