What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Streaming video

jnliten

Hello just wanted to start off by saying I'm a total newb and only a slight idea of what im doing.

Basically what I want to do is set up a media server in my house and stream all the videos to my other pcs and ps3 from there. I think I have a basic idea of what to do but I could most likely be wrong.

What I've tried so far is that I set my computer thats running win7 as a media center using wmp12 and streamed video to my ps3. It works fine, but the videos tend to take awhile to start and it stutters. I think this has to do with me trying to do this with wireless connection.

What I did with my pc's is I set up two computer on a workgroup and put videos on a public share folder. When I try to stream a video, the same problem happens with it taking long to start and stutters. Both computers are connected with wire, so I'm not sure what is going on.

I think I'm approaching this wrong but don't know how to correct myself, I eventually want to store all my media on NAS but would like to get this working before I invest any money into it. So I'm looking for any help or guides. Thanks for any help.

ZZLEE

What router

What router or switches are you useing any of them 10/100 if so look fore a 10/100/1000 speed wired and wireless N router.:biggrin: What else is happening on the network while you are trying to streem ?

jnliten

I am using a Trendnet TEW-452BRP wireless router and nothing else is in use while I streaming the video.

Oh I just googled the router and it doesn't seem like its really that good. So I guess it was the router thats causing me problems?

grinder

yeah that wireless G router isn't enough to stream high def content.

please SEARCH the forum for wireless N router recommendations... there are enough wireless N router threads here to choke a goat.

jnliten

Lol I was totally going to ask for router recommendation too. Anyways thanks for the help, I'll try getting a new router and hopefully it will fix my problem.

jnliten

I was looking at routers and but a question came to me. As far as I know the ps3 doesn't have wireless N support and the wireless speed shouldn't affect my wired connection on the pc I was trying to stream the video on. So I was wondering if getting a wireless N router would be advantageous to me at all?

Last edited:

DCCV44.2223

When I try to stream a video, the same problem happens with it taking long to start and stutters. Both computers are connected with wire, so I'm not sure what is going on.

It's easier if we can get some bandwidth numbers. The networking tab in Task Manager will tell you the network utilization, can you copy a large file across the network and tell us what numbers you're getting.

Can you also try another player like VideoLan:

VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player

If you're streaming Bluray or other HD content you maybe running into DRM overheads and related issues. One joke about Vista is that it's "DRM masquerading as an OS".

jnliten

Well I figured out the problem I was having with my pc streaming, Basically what happened was I never checked the connection on the router in the basement, so when I went down there to change the router and I found that someone had plugged my connection into a hub so thats why I was getting lag.

Changing the router didn't seem to help my ps3 streaming tho, but after I enabled range booster I can stream videos fine. So I think all my problems have been solved. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Could have probably saved myself some frustration and time by checking the physical connection, but oh well live and learn.

Latest posts