What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Stuck on my 1st build

Mr. Cipher

Components:
PSU: Corsair HX 620
MoBo: GA-P35_DS3R
Chassis: Antec 900
GPU: 8800GTX

Hi all. I have some build questions about connecting the chassis fans to the PSU , and also my 8800gtx to the PSU as well.

I have 4 fans on the 900 that I need connected, however my MoBo's 4pin connector is already being used by the CPU cooler and it only has two more, 3 pin connectors - my fans have small 4 pin connectors, and larger 4 pin connectors (molex?) on them as well What I have done is connected the bigger 4 pin (molex?) from the fan, to a cable that runs to my PSU.

What I want to know is why I can connect multiple components on the PSU's molex cable, It has a male/female connector on one piece that allows me to piggy back components...does this mean I can piggy back two of my fans onto 1 molex into my PSU? Does each rail supply enough power for that? I don't think I have enough connectors to my PSU otherwise unless I piggy back (e.g. 4 fans, HD, GPU, DVD)., and I don't have a manual that details the power that runs through the rails.

If anyone can shed some light on this for me, and what kind of connectors I need to keep my eye out for to connect my GPU to the PSU I would really appreciate it.

I just don't want to turn on my computer the first time and have it blow up...

Thanks! :biggrin:

JD

Staff member
I run all my fans in my Antec 900 off one molex. Fans don't exactly draw a lot of power unless your using some crazy Delta fans.

MpG

Your 8800GTX will have two 6-pin (2x3 pin shape) connector sockets, which will need corresponding plugs from your PSU. The HX620 has different sockets for the PCI-E plugs than the rest of its modular cables, so they should stand out pretty easily.

Mr. Cipher

@ MpG - Yeah I see the PCI-E plugs, they are off to the side, should be easy to connect.
@jdrom17 - Thanks for the info, it makes me happy that I can piggy back the fans because it's so much easier that way.

I really appreciate the help!

1Tanker

Keep in mind that when using Molex connectors vs. mobo fan headers...you can't monitor rpm's unless the fan has a seperate rpm wire(yellow)which you can plug into a fan header. ;)

Mr. Cipher

@ 1Tanker - that's too bad...it's unfortunate my MoBo only has 1 4pin CPU fan header and 2 3 pin fan headers. I may get a fan controller later, but right now I have all 4 tricools on "medium" and it seems to work well.

I am debating buy a fan for the 5.25" Bay (the "middle" fan for the Antec 900) but that may just be overkill. Right now I'm happy enough that it works and I can start reviewing the components. Odd however that my BIOS says it's an e2180 at 1.8ghz.

Again, thanks for much for the help, it's fantastic to have such a great community!

Eldonko

What I want to know is why I can connect multiple components on the PSU's molex cable, It has a male/female connector on one piece that allows me to piggy back components...does this mean I can piggy back two of my fans onto 1 molex into my PSU? Does each rail supply enough power for that?
yes and yes. :)

Mr. Cipher

What should it be? The AMD in your sig?

No, it should be e2180 @ 2.0ghz I thought, rather than e2180 @ 1.8ghz. Maybe it isn't showing at 2.0ghz because I haven't updated the bios yet, since I haven't determined which bios is best for OC'ing on my gigabyte MoBo (it's revision 2.0)

Last edited:

1Tanker

No, it should be e2180 @ 2.0ghz I thought, rather than e2180 @ 1.8ghz. Maybe it isn't showing at 2.0ghz because I haven't updated the bios yet, since I haven't determined which bios is best for OC'ing on my gigabyte MoBo (it's revision 2.0)
Is it possible that you unknowingly changed the multiplier to 9x in the BIOS? A check with CPU-Z should tell you what it's running at.

Latest posts