What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Stuttering when watching TV

Kilauea

Hi,

I am not sure if I will manage to explain my issue properly, but in December 2011, I purchased a 120hz Smart LED HDTV. Ever since I've bought it, I noticed some sort of lag when watching hockey. At first it was just when there were faceoffs where the image would stutter, but it was not always very noticeable. Now that hockey season started, I seem to notice those stutter a lot more frequently, during face-offs and during regular play also.

My personal idea of the problem without having done much research is that since the signal is 60hz and that the TV must interpolate the extra image to achieve 120hz, it creates some stuttering when there is a transition between nearly static image (before face-off) and fast moving action (after face-off).

I figured someone here would know better than me and could help me.
Thanks

JD

Staff member
Usually there's settings on the TV as to how it applies the 60-to-120Hz conversion but of course its called a variety of names.

On my Sony, I believe it's called Motion Flow and it has like 3 different settings. Just have to try each one to find what works best for you.

Dzzope

120hz as in 3d.. My experience of all 3d TV's is that they stutter with any fast movement. From sports to someone simply moving their arm fast I notice stutter.

Also I notice the image never quite seems natural. Makes for very uncomfortable watching of nearly anything which you want to be absorbed by (apart from 3d).

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I assume it is a Samsung TV.

Go into the Picture Settings and select Auto Motion Plus. Chick on Custom and max each of the sliders. This should make for a smoother hockey experience but MAKE SURE to reduce the Judder Reduction do about 2-3 when watching normal TV.

Kilauea

Oops, my mistake, it is a Sharp TV. I tried to check what JD said, but there is no stutter in football, will have to wait for hockey.

SKYMTL

Staff member
I know for certain that Sharp doesn't include individual dejudder / motion smoothing controls. I believe their setting is simply called "Film Mode".

Which Sharp TV do you have?

Kilauea

Sorry for not replying sooner. I have played with some controls, but as far as I remember I reverted back to the original settings and have had a hard time seeing any problems since then. I will continue to investigate.

The model number is: LC-60E79U

Neoptolemus

Hi,

I am not sure if I will manage to explain my issue properly, but in December 2011, I purchased a 120hz Smart LED HDTV. Ever since I've bought it, I noticed some sort of lag when watching hockey. At first it was just when there were faceoffs where the image would stutter, but it was not always very noticeable. Now that hockey season started, I seem to notice those stutter a lot more frequently, during face-offs and during regular play also.

My personal idea of the problem without having done much research is that since the signal is 60hz and that the TV must interpolate the extra image to achieve 120hz, it creates some stuttering when there is a transition between nearly static image (before face-off) and fast moving action (after face-off).

I figured someone here would know better than me and could help me.
Thanks

I have precisely the same problem on my new 120 Hz LED HDTV (NOT a 3D TV). There is a noticeable lag or stutter during faceoffs. After the puck is dropped and play gets going, the lag/stutter goes away. I would say this happens for approximately 25% of faceoffs.

The same thing occurs while watcing baseball, while the pitcher is holding the ball prior to making the pitch. Once the pitch is thrown, the lag/stutter disappears.

In both scenarios, the picture is relatively still, quickly followed by fast-moving action.

The TV is connected to my Rogers box, and the problem occurs when connected with both component and HDMI cables.

I have an LG 42LN5700.

SKYMTL

Staff member
Have you tried turning off the motion processing?

Latest posts