What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Stuttering

sswilson

Staff member
OK so I'm still getting the stuttering. Here are some example from while I was playing Minecraft with vsync enabled:

ASUS Ai Suite and CPU-Z are showing me fluxing CPU frequencies of ~1600MHz, ~3400MHz, even as high as 4400MHz. Mostly hangs out in the 1600s. That's when idle. *quickly starts up Prime...

Well this is interesting, under full load the CPU is steady around the ~4430MHz. I see the multiplier goes up to 43 while under load but at 16 when idle. Bus speed remains around 103MHz with variations by a few tenths of a point.

A couple of hours ago I ran a program called Core Damage. When I changed the settings to 4. Realtime Priority my system came to a grinding near halt; hardly responding to any input. I resisted pressing the reboot button and I struggled to get my mouse cursor oriented to turn the program off.

I never noticed my CPU frequency change like this. In recent efforts to troubleshoot I had changed my BIOS power settings from normal to performance but I've never manually OC'ed my rig. Odd indeed.

Should I also mention that last night I got a BSOD? I don't think I've had more than 2 or 3 of those in the two or so years I've had this rig...

My head hurts. I'm going to bed. If you guys can suggest what other tests I can perform do let me know.

As far as I'm concerned it's either the CPU, PSU or motherboard. Probably the first...
That fluctuation in freq / multi is the norm these days and shouldn't have any effect so long as it ramps up when a load is applied.

Smeowkey

The other week when I manually set my RAM frequency and timings in BIOS it also initiated the BIOS' CPU overclocking, which explains the ridiculously high temperatures of 90 degrees; that was 4.4GHz with the FreezerPro HSF. With the 212 EVO the temperatures are about 20 degrees cooler at 4.4GHz.

I've gone into BIOS to manually keep the CPU frequency the same (stock), regardless, the stuttering is still occurring. I've also played around with BIOS and Windows power management to no avail.

Another example is when I play BeamNG Drive (very CPU-demanding soft-body physics vehicle simulator), with the graphic settings on low or high, as I speed down the roads and get the stutters, I also observed my CPU frequency which stays steady at its highest set frequency, CPU usage no where near 100% on any of the threads.

When I removed the FreezerPro HSF I'll admit that I had previously not applied quite enough TIM but it was not too little of an amount to show concern. When I installed the 212 EVO I made sure to apply TIM properly by spreading it thin across the entire CPU.

What I have not yet done is inspect the CPU pins; I don't know if a slightly bent pin could result in stuttering performance.

I'm strongly leaning towards the CPU. Are there any other ways of testing the CPU? Should I be doing stress test run for more than ten minutes?

clshades

I have also seen this problem with misc software like Asus networking software. Lots o people use this stuff thinking it will increase performance when the opposite is true. If you want to be 100% sure install a basic install. Drivers only on networking and mobo. And then GPU drivers with games or benching software. Don't express install anything.
Retest. Like I say I have seen bloated installs cause massive frame drops and stuttering.
At least you eliminate everything else.

Bond007

Agree. The easiest thing to do now is a clean install and see how it runs...that will tell you if its a hardware or software issue.

Smeowkey

Hello! I finally found some time to do the following:
Disconnected all my HDDs except my main drive (the SSD) and reset/jumped CMOS.
BIOS settings were reset due to jumping CMOS, all I changed was the power mode to 'performance' from 'normal'.
Formatted my main drive, installed Win7, the latest chipset driver, LAN driver and the latest NVidia driver.
Installed Minecraft and Java Runtime. Played Minecraft for a few minutes and...

...the stutters are still present, just as noticeable as before.

Now what? I'm temped to disconnect the SSD, connect and format one of my HDDs for a fresh Windows install but I already know that some games on my E:\ drive stutter so I doubt that going to be a fix...

Oh lordy this is frustrating!

Smeowkey

Yes. that is correct. I had noticed the stuttering in BeamNG Drive so I thought that upgrading my GPU would help. With the new GPU the stuttering still occured in that game. I figured, oh, well, it must be my CPU having trouble with BeamNG Drive, after all that game is severely CPU dependent. Then for old time's sake I installed Minecraft and that's when I noticed the exact same stuttering. I installed FRAPS to observe the graph on my keyboard's LCD and made a correlation that the stutters in both games always last the exact same ammount of time.

LHN91

Have you tried without the Network card enabled?

I've seen behaviour an awful lot like this with poorly written wifi drivers.

Smeowkey

Today I used DPC Latency Checker and saw no correlations between in-game stuttering and spikes in PC latency. However, while (re)installing drivers the latency did spike to ridiculous levels on several occasions.

In the Windows Device Manager, one by one, one at a time, I disabled each possible hardware and tested with Minecraft. Everything I could possibly disable did not resolve the stuttering. I've updated every possible conceivable driver known to mankind and still I'm getting this slaughtering performance.

Last thing I can do is swap out my RAM for my older Kingston Value memory, reset CMOS and format again just to see but why oh why do I believe this is going to prove to be futile...

More suggestions, pretty please! This is depressing! (well not really but it sure as hell sucks donkey balls!)

I'm tempted to buy a new PSU even though I feel confident that my Corsair HX650 is fine. The local CanadaComputers retail in Waterloo has one LGA1155 processor available that I could buy to swap out with the current CPU (at over $70 bucks that is an expensive way to troubleshoot).

**** me, I'm stumped.

Twitter