What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Stuttering

clshades

jesus what a mess mate. Dang.

Before you go trying a new install again may I suggest trying a new HDD cable and eliminate stupid stuff. I'd also suggest trying another sata port just to eliminate those two buggers. It's really come down to process of elimination and it can take time. I applaud your efforts tho!

If that doesn't work I suggest doing an image of your current install onto another hard drive and booting with another drive. Perhaps that SSD is crapping out... they are known to do that. IS the firmware on that corsair 3 up-to-date?

this will of course eliminate hard drives, cables, and sata ports

Last edited:

Smeowkey

A few days ago I did slap back into my rig my previous 16GB of 1333 RAM (4x4GB) and cleared/jumped the CMOS. Also I tried different things in BIOS yet no positive results.

Now I'm borderline breadboarding my system; the motherboard is still in the case but I'm ready to take it out since plugging and unplugging things within the case is a pain in the ass. There's a nice mess of things in the kitchen and it's about the get worse... :ph34r:

Last night I spent some hours troubleshooting with hardware components including cables. Different PSU rails and cables, my PSU is semi-modular so I also tried other ports within the PSU. Also tried different SATA ports and cables, even tried the secondary PCIe slot for the GPU. The next step when I have time will be indeed a full breadboard style troubleshoot. I haven't yet tried a clean install on another HDD so that will probably be the first thing I try next. After that I will remove the CPU HSF, take out the CPU and inspect its pins. I strongly doubt the problem is HSF/TIM related because even after my HSF upgrade (FreezerPro to the 212 EVO) the stuttering did not go away even thought I saw an impressive decrease in temperatures at idle and under load. I'm leaning more and more towards the mobo or the CPU. I know my 650W PSU is just borderline but according to the PSU calculator I used I have headroom of about 50-100W above the suggested/recommended wattage for my setup.

I will get this resolved and I will find the culprit. If I don't I'm building a new system, which is kinda freaking exciting but I've already spent a lot of money on toys this year so I really, really, really shouldn't be spending any more money especially since my car is currently at a specialized mechanic, Aktive Motors, which means vrooooooom like new again but that also means a bill in the probable thousands... :doh:

Thank goodness I'm living at home again because otherwise I'd be too broke for anything.

Smeowkey

Well here's some interesting progress I just made:

I've disconnect all my drives except my optical and my 10'000RPM 1TB WD Caviar Black 64MB, I formatted this drive and performed a clean windows install. the only thing I've installed are:
Latest P67 Chipet driver from ASUS website
Latest NVidia driver from Nvidia website
Java 32
Java 64
Minecraft
FRAPS
G15 Keyboard software

The framerate is now considerably more stable and I don't get the mass drops and saw teeth framerate count/graph that I had with the install on the SSD; the stuttering has massively decreased but it's still happening. How confusing. All BIOS settings are default which includes my 1866 RAM running at 1333. Gonna go tinker around some more...

And it's not a bottleneck for sure because my CPU and RAM loads do not exceed 25% during these stutters.

clshades

Java maybe? Last time I installed java my malwarebytes went ballistic and I have since removed it from all pc's

Smeowkey

Before I get to that I would like to state something I had noticed when I first built this system and now will bring to the forefront. I never get any system beeps during the POST. I mean, never. While my CPU was out I thought I'd boot up without it just to hear a beep. No boot. Whatever. So I seated my CPU and mounted the HSF. I removed all the memory and attempted to boot. I know for a fact that the system should give me some beeps when there is no memory. I booted, the system powers on but then shuts itself off within a couple seconds, then powers itself back on after some seconds, my display remains blank/off; no system beeps, however the MemOK light is solid red as it should be. I have a feeling that my motherboard, despite working, has a few oddities about it...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter