What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Suggestions for cleaning EK Mystic Fog residue from blocks and res?

bjcsoln

So, again some people might've seen my other posts around experiments with EK Mystic Fog, and how, as it warmed up, impacted* the flow rate and ability for my system to shed heat. And by "impacted*", to be fair (insert Letterkenny gif here), the impact was nothing that really would make a big difference, but because of that stupid AIDA panel and the fact that I can see every single change in degree, I decided to go back to a clear liquid.

So - picked up the Mayhem Blitz cleaning kit (stage 2), and ran it through my system as per instructions. One thing here - I am really happy how the extra hardware / valves around my pump made this incredible easy to constantly flush and refill my loop!

Now, the fog was only in my loop for about 5 months, and the blitz did a fine job of cleaning the PETG tubes, but there is still lots of reside on the blocks and res, and this is what I am trying to figure out how to remove (without dissassembling them).

Anybody have any other recommendations / DIY for giving their loop a good cleaning (again without taking it apart)

Not sure how much of this will show up on the pictures, but here are a couple of examples of the fog residue that didn't get cleaned:

1615056891321.png

1615056910980.png

1615057029995.png

JD

Staff member
I'm not certain, but in the first pic, it looks like those are places where water doesn't really flow, rather bubbles moved through the gaps? You'll likely have to tear it apart to clean that out.

As for the reservoir in the 2nd pic, again, likely because it doesn't see a lot of flow, I've had success with PineSol (like a 50/50 mix) since it'll foam up too while the pump is running. I believe it was mentioned on Swiftech's site for cleaning their AIOs. Obviously do so at your own risk and clean/rinse thoroughly after.

clshades

The standard for cleaning a heat exchanger is vinegar. This is how I service tankless water heaters. Flushed with clean water after. If you can warm the vinegar a little it works better.

bjcsoln

Since this would be cleaning through-out the entire loop I think vinegar is out of the question (but thanks for the idea CL). And JD you are right, some of the places where the fluid has left residue will also not flush (unless I take them apart). Guess I am stuck with it.

Darn, should've stuck with my original instincts to stick with clear fluids - granted, I do like the look of the fog, and if mining goes out of style for me then I could probably switch back.

clshades

I've just rigged up my rad in the kitchen sink before with the pump and a PSU 24 pin clip dealy to flush the rad only. One jug of pure vinegar cycling in and out of a bucket or the jug itself. You'd be surprised after an hour of flushing how dirty it is. Gotta flush with clean water for about 10 minutes after.

The copper inside the rad is pristine after. Hard part is getting the pump primed.

clshades

1st 2 pics is where the gas heats the water, think of this as dust on you radiator. (laymans terms)

gas-side dirty.jpggas-side clean.jpg

3rd picture is the crap from inside of the fins where the water is heated. This is a 1.5 hour vinegar flush.
water-side flushed.jpg

Last edited: