What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Suggestions needed for video card

djbrad

Are the movies streamed from an online service, mkv files or ultra blu ray?

Alpine

Movies are mostly mkv files and some bluray.

Clshades:

Lucky as i am, each time i switch card from ATI to Nvida or vice versa, i always have problem with my computers.
Last time, i buy a Nvidia card for the computer of my kikds and system crash. Windows needed to be re-install since it was corrupt after removing ati driver and install nvidia driver.
I just want to have trouble free.

That's why, need to be ati card.

Mr. Friendly

hey Alpine, you need to use a driver uninstall tool to get rid of the old GPU drivers when you switch brands. the leftovers are probably the cause of your issues as they react to the new GPU driver.

that said, you should be able to find something like an AM RX 550 or Nvidia GT 1050 for around $100 or so, used.

clshades

A 1050 or 1030 would work man. Sadly AMD doesn't have anything cheap that deals with h.265 very well. You'd have to convert the files to something it likes better. Either that or use an intel processor has hardware support for h.265. What your after is HEVC support, hardware support is better, smoother.

If you scroll down this link you can see which CPU's support this format on chip. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

Kaby lake, Coffee lake etc is the starting point. If the cpu had onboard gpu you're set. Bottom line is if you want cheap HEVC support its a 1030 or higher. Nothing wrong with a fresh install of windows either.

Last edited:

Bond007

If you do Netflix in 4k, just note that the GPU list is much shorter for it for some odd reason.

djbrad

Netflix 4k it's the 1050 3GB+ vram (not the 2GB variant).

The geforce 710 can do h265 hevc, but not the 10 bit variant. Got one refurbished for 35$ on newegg some years ago.

The 1030 can do 4k, hevc 10 bit. Go one too, works well.

For 4k ultra blu ray with power dvd, it's harder. You need an intel (not amd) cpu with sgx support from that list :

On the amd side, radeon 550+ should be ok.

clshades

or you could just forget the whole thing, get a chromecast and run a plex server. As long as the cpu supports HEVC it will do on the fly decoding. I never want to see a computer under my TV again.