What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gallery Supersonic ping pong ball

BrainEater

Oh Baby.

I spent 600$ on this little fetish today !

I now have a 15 micron vacuum pump , and 10 feet of schedule 40 clear PVC pipe.I have a plan on how to thermoset a section of said pipe into an appropriate DeLaval nozzle

I'm also fabricating custom 'burst disks' .

With 150 Psi in , 15 micron vacuum , I expect I'll surpass the Purdue University results (Mach 1.23).

I promise , It'll be exciting !!

I'm just trying to hunt down a 20000 fps camera for speed checking ! ( I need to rent it for 1/20th of a second) !!

Haha

:thumb:

clshades

Can't wait to see this in action! What's the max psi rating on that pipe? Schedual 80 might be in order. Only because of the tapping? I think you lose half once ya thread it or tap it.

Last edited:

Astaroth

You're the craziest f#ck on this forum :D As far as builders go. It's a good thing.

BrainEater

Can't wait to see this in action! What's the max psi rating on that pipe? Schedual 80 might be in order. Only because of the tapping? I think you lose half once ya thread it or tap it.

I won't be tapping anything , it'll all be proper fittings .

All the same : You are correct , everything is Schedule 80 (or better).
The barrel and nozzle are made from Ipex Clearguard PVC pipe.It's only 'sold' as schedule 40 , in reality , it's ratings exceed schedule 80.It's Rated at 260 Psi.

:haha:

I wanted clear tubing because it's the only way to check speed....Still trying to find a loaner hi speed camera.

Some quick numbers :

A modern ping pong ball is 2.1 grams , 40mm diameter.
With 120 PSI in , and good vacuum , We are looking at a thrust-to-weight ratio of 100,000+ to 1 !!!
Coupled with the supersonic nozzle , well , it should be cool.

I have got the burst disks aced.(I think) , and we'll have to see how the thermosetting goes , the nozzle is key.

-

Last edited:

clshades

How do you attach the nozzle? All I was getting at with the pipe is if you thread the pipe itself or tap it I think the psi rating is halved if I remember correctly. Thicker sheduals = higher ratings.
Welded fittings don't suffer as much.

150psi is no joke when it lets go :p I wouldn't wanna be standing next to it :whistle:

Last edited:

BrainEater

Step 1 complete !

8 foot barrel+vacuum pump test success !!!!

Only 500 mph but it went through both sides of a six-pack box like it wasn't even there , and compressed one side of the ping pong ball flat !

Here's the 'vacuum side' of the cannon :

braineater-albums-vacuum-cannon-picture1957-pongcannon1.jpg

-----

I'm working on the pressure side , and burst disks right now , as well as ironing out some issues on the vacuum side.

Latest posts

Twitter