What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gallery Supersonic ping pong ball

BrainEater

Come on..videos? pls!!!

This.

-----

I have just paid for a Vimeo Pro account , for my ski stuff , I'll be able to host videos finally.

There's a weee issue tho ; I've got the best gopro out there.At it's BEST framerate ,all you see is "bang" and there's magically a hole in something.
One frame is the length of the entire gun.....I need a hi-speed , Hi-def camera that will do 12000 frames per second , not 120.

I'm workin on that too tho.

:thumb:

BrainEater

Oh baby !

Test 4 : WIN !

----

braineater-albums-vacuum-cannon-picture1958-ssppb1.jpg

Front side , that's all the bits of the ball I could find , and I taped those together !

-----

braineater-albums-vacuum-cannon-picture1959-ssppb2.jpg

Back side ; please note there are actually pieces missing from the exit hole !

------

If that ball was going under 600 mph I'd be really surprised , holy crap it made a huge *bang* when I fired it !

Working on stage 2 now.

BrainEater

Sweet !
Did another test fire , learned another thing !
-
My 'burst disk assemblies' work perfectly.No more haphazard "packing tape" .I can now just cut a circular piece of plastic and clamp it into the union , and fully adjust the burst pressures by changing the plastic disks !!

I've learned the muzzle burst disk needs to be as thin as possible.I tried some 4 mil plastic , it slowed the ball down....it only needs to hold 16 psi.

I'll take another picture tomorrow , it's changed a lot.

BrainEater

Oh yeeeea.

Did 5 test fires today ...

Stage 1 is definitely getting dialed in. Today I tried 3 different plastics for burst disks , I think I found one ; it did this to an empty beercan :

braineater-albums-vacuum-cannon-picture1961-ssppb3.jpg

------

!!!!!

----

I also got a start on stage 2 , tried some pvc thermosetting.First try = Fail.

I think I've got 'er aced tho...
Mach 1.5 here we come !

grinder

LOL. good upload Dean.

no matter how far you slow it down.. its there one frame, and gone the next! rofl

BrainEater

Yep , Thanks Deano , fantastic upload !

Ahahaha fun with Physics !

-----

You are totally right Rob , It does recoil !!

WOW !

:shok:

BrainEater

Woop.

I'm going in again over the weekend to do some more test shots , I'm trying out those 4$ 'survival blankets' as burst disk material.....aluminized polyester.

I've also got the nozzle aced :

Here's how I'm doing it :

I'm going to get a 40mm round wooden dowel about 200 mm long , and attach it axially to a drill.....I then sand my nozzle shape into it.Once shaped , I drill through the center (axially again) for a bolt hole , then cut it at the 'throat' of the nozzle. ( so you can remove the mold)..

I then put it inside a piece of PVC pipe , heat it till it's soft , and use the vacuum I already have to 'vacuum form' the pipe to the mold.

:clap:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter