What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Support for this site.Pony up fatasses

BrainEater

Ok so ,

Harware Canucks is an awesome site. Solid reviews, good friends.
-----------
I'm a patron already at a diff site.
I'd like to be a patron here. Let's get this site user supported.
I have money for a cool site like this.

Admins , set it up , I will hammer for joiners, and I've got 50$ a month for yah.

:thumb:

MARSTG

Hardware Canucks is an awesome site. Solid reviews...-----------

Not lately : this site is dying !! It started with the "new direction" and when they decided to stop making written reviews. Oh, that and accepting Nvidia's 5 year NDA which totally closed the doors to honest reviews this website was known for !

Bond007

As the site used to be, I would agree. As it is, this “site” is just a forum (mind you it’s a forum I love). I am fine with moving things to more popular and financially beneficial media, but the site needs a revamp. Even if just links on the home page updated for the latest videos etc. But alas it does not appear it will ever be...

FreeKnight

Ok so ,

Harware Canucks is an awesome site. Solid reviews, good friends.
-----------
I'm a patron already at a diff site.
I'd like to be a patron here. Let's get this site user supported.
I have money for a cool site like this.

Admins , set it up , I will hammer for joiners, and I've got 50$ a month for yah.

:thumb:

I think we'd need actual input from staff before even considering something like this. While I'm happy to support the site (I have zero adblockers and ghostery on it and periodically click banner links), I'd need more info.

First and foremost does the site even need money? Right now there isn't any new content on the site, just the forums and that's just hosting and server space to pay for. If the ads are covering that, then we're good. If they're not, I'd chip in a bit.

But to make a substantial contribution or have some kind of 'membership' we'd need an idea of;
- HWC's plans for the site
- HWC's direction or goals for the short and long term future
- Information on if financial support is explicitly for the site or both the site and YT channel.
- etc etc

Right now there isn't any communication from HWC on any of this. That's completely fine, they don't owe us a damn thing at the moment. Once we start contributing money though, we're owed at the least some clarity, not necessarily input.

I don't wish Sky, Dimitry, Eber, or any of them ill and actually hope they've had good success with the YT site. I don't have any interest in it. It's gotten a little more clickbait-y over time and my interest is in component reviews and peripherals, not on videos like "We pulled a prank & he gave up" or "The MUST HAVE smartphone features in 2019" or "How to RGB your gaming life" (All HWC YT videos).
If I wanted to watch Linus.... I'd watch Linus :haha:

This is the only forum I'm actively engaged in and I really like the community here. The 'regulars' are part of why I keep popping in and try and make an effort to contribute. The mods do an excellent job and I like that the focus of the forum isn't everything and anything (politics sections, vaping sections, beer sections, etc). That being said, that's the community and not the current HWC as a site/media group.

If we're in a situation where the site needs support or HWC just wants to migrate entirely to YT and the forum is either split, renamed or whatever, that's fine too, I'd just want to know what's going on and what the plan is before any action's taken.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
To be clear, the mods have no input or knowledge on the direction of the site and forums. We have no direct weight, input, or control beyond managing the forums.

We're simply volunteers, and as such only pass along 'things' to the bigwigs.

Lysrin

*snip*
This is the only forum I'm actively engaged in and I really like the community here. The 'regulars' are part of why I keep popping in and try and make an effort to contribute. The mods do an excellent job and I like that the focus of the forum isn't everything and anything (politics sections, vaping sections, beer sections, etc). That being said, that's the community and not the current HWC as a site/media group.

Agreed, same for me.

I did see a tweet from HWC yesterday (can't link it unfortunately atm) about them starting a rebranding effort. Not sure if that was for the YT channel or the whole HWC Internet presence. It lead to at least one reply tweeting #LeaveTheBeaverAlone. That made me chuckle :biggrin:

FreeKnight

Agreed, same for me.

I did see a tweet from HWC yesterday (can't link it unfortunately atm) about them starting a rebranding effort. Not sure if that was for the YT channel or the whole HWC Internet presence. It lead to at least one reply tweeting #LeaveTheBeaverAlone. That made me chuckle :biggrin:

I looked at the tweet and it reads to me like it's just a logo/design change ;
https://twitter.com/hardwarecanucks/status/1121428148657315841

Attachments

• HWCTweet.jpg
    HWCTweet.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 148

enaberif

I've been around since this site was a sparkle in Gavs eye and sat in his office talking to him about it and his intentions.

I've been here since the rise and what I would call the fall.

This place is mostly a ghost town now of just a few people who for whatever reason hang out.

I remember times when things like overclocking and benchmarking was huge... I bought the e8400 when it first came out as well as the e8600 and when the 8800 GT Alpha Dog came on the market.

Time changes.. HWC changed... its a shell of its once former glory life.

geokilla

Written reviews don't generate money or reviews. YouTube reviews are where its at now.

crazyea

Dont feel bad guys, extremesystems was also one of my go to's and I would say it fell from a much higher peek. Mind you that forum theme where the post creator font is much larger than the subject killed it imho. So many complained when they switched to it, but they didn't listen and now crickets. lol It made it so hard to browse the topics. Thats when I left.

Latest posts

Twitter