What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Support for this site.Pony up fatasses

belgolas

This is still my go to forum for anything PC related. Would like if more written reviews were made but I also like the youtube reviews especially for things like Cases but for GPUs, CPUs, Storage, Monitors, ect I prefer written reviews as I can look at in-depth charts and written reviews generally provide more info vs a video that tries to keep it short.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Dont feel bad guys, extremesystems was also one of my go to's and I would say it fell from a much higher peek. Mind you that forum theme where the post creator font is much larger than the subject killed it imho. So many complained when they switched to it, but they didn't listen and now crickets. lol It made it so hard to browse the topics. Thats when I left.

Wow it is quiet over there.

I think we are fortunate to have this forum still. If anything I guess the site admins could add some code to the main site's front page to display the latest Youtube and Twitter posts, etc.

Kids these days are not building PCs, and they gravitate to Youtube when they do want to do some techie stuff. I follow HWC on Twitter and YT...HWC is not dying (I don't think), just the written reviews have evolved into multimedia.

encorp

People just don't connect through forums the way they used to, I think.

It's all Youtube, Video, Discord, etc nowadays.

Caldezar

I've been around since this site was a sparkle in Gavs eye and sat in his office talking to him about it and his intentions.

I've been here since the rise and what I would call the fall.

This place is mostly a ghost town now of just a few people who for whatever reason hang out.

I remember times when things like overclocking and benchmarking was huge... I bought the e8400 when it first came out as well as the e8600 and when the 8800 GT Alpha Dog came on the market.

Time changes.. HWC changed... its a shell of its once former glory life.

Not to make this a personal attack, but seriously... you are one of the most negative people I've ever seen on a forum. Everything you post sounds like Eeyore. You need some positivity in your life.

Sadly though, I do agree that the tides are turning with regards to content consumption. But, as has been mentioned already, simply linking their YT and other content on to the front page of the forums can keep traffic fresh here, and still give the written community a place to hang out that doesn't feel like it's abandoned.

enaberif

Not to make this a personal attack, but seriously... you are one of the most negative people I've ever seen on a forum. Everything you post sounds like Eeyore. You need some positivity in your life.

Sadly though, I do agree that the tides are turning with regards to content consumption. But, as has been mentioned already, simply linking their YT and other content on to the front page of the forums can keep traffic fresh here, and still give the written community a place to hang out that doesn't feel like it's abandoned.

LOL that is like saying "not to be racist".

Babrbarossa

It's pretty great that this forum is still chugging along when SO many others have fizzled completely in the face of many changes that I suppose are pretty obvious:

1) the decline of the PC
2) the move of reviews to youtube
3) the lack of overclockability of processors (until a microarchitecture revolution happens, headroom is going to keep declining)
4) the popularity of reddit
5) the collapse of NCIX
6) high price of some components - especially GPUs
7) the death of Moore's Law (not worth upgrading as often)
8) popularity of consoles for gaming

Look at the join dates of the people in this thread - most have been here at least 10 years and I get the sense that many active members are IT types. It's a small niche these days and I am not really in it anymore despite being one of the first members here and a former reviewer and moderator (crappy at both, I am afraid). I haven't upgraded my PC in quite a while because the GPU I bought for $750 in 2014 is still not worth replacing at current prices and I have children now.

I just checked techgage - a similar sort of Canadian tech site to HWC but unlike HWC, techgage still cranks out written reviews, but they haven't had a post on their forums since 2018.

I credit the continued life of this forum to the quality and civility of the members and to a handful of kind and helpful very active members who create a nice atmosphere here.

I hope HWC keeps going though and I would kick in a little dosh if necessary, though not $50 per month :)

side question: Is HWC still owned GTO Media which is in turn owned by Feng Qing Long a la Netlink?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter