What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Surprise issue

Cerene

Hi everyone, this is my first time on the site, was sent here by my step-dad.
This morning I installed a wireless card into my desktop, which went smoothly. Computer started up, it auto-installed drivers and ran great. Took a minute to settle into wireless life, but was fine. Tested out the performance in online competitive play, got an error, had to force close Steam and the game, lost sound to the game, and restarted my computer. That's when the trouble started. As it booted, my keyboard and mouse would flash on, but then turn off and not be usable once Windows fully started. Thought it was just a weird issue, so I unplugged them, plugged them back in, and restarted the computer, which usually fixes that. Then the mouse and keyboard wouldn't even light up. Tried restarting again and then it stopped sending any information to my monitors.
We've tried unplugging the wireless card, powercycling, taking the watch battery out of the motherboard and powercycling, plugging the monitors into the onboard graphics card, and nothing has worked. The machine boots up, lights and all but 1 fan on the graphics card working, but it just doesn't go anywhere. We've double checked that all wires are plugged in. The machine is only 2 years old and has been perfect up until this moment.
I have an ASUS Strix Z270E Gaming Motherboard, 7700K CPU, ASUS Strix 1070TI Graphics card, and 16GB of RAM.
I'd love any advice I could get on fixing the issue. Thank you so much!

Bond007

What wireless card?

Are you positive no other wires/connections were bumped/made loose during the process?

otherwise it may require a boot to safe mode to uninstall the drivers loaded to see if that helps.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
To me, it sounds more like a flakey power supply.

The easier step is definitely what @Bond007 said. If that doesnt work, I'd remove the GPU and as much unnecessary power draw items, and see if it works on the iGPU+cpu+1hdd+minimum#usb.

Vittra

in addition to the above suggestions, you can also try:

1) Turn off computer, flip the PSU switch (or unplug cable) and pull the CMOS battery from the BIOS. If the motherboard has a CMOS reset jumper, use it at this time as well. Wait about 15 seconds with the battery removed then replace it, put the jumper back to it's original spot (if applicable), and then replug in the cable/turn on the PSU switch and see if this corrected it.

2) Install the latest BIOS/UEFI if there is one available. This assumes your kb/mouse works inside the UEFI, as it's obviously going to be tough if they are failing there too. Unfortunately your particular board doesn't have the BIOS update button on the rear I/O.

Cerene

the wireless card is a MSI Wireleas-AC905C Dual Band 802.11AC.
I can't access the boot menus, as nothing shows up on the monitors. They are powered and connected, but nothing shows up when the computer turns on.
I will test the other things and let you guys know. Thank you so much!!

Cerene

Okay, so we tried stripping down everything we could and it didn't work. Also tried the battery removal and that didn't work either. Everything powers up fine, so it doesn't seem like a power issue. My sister (who is helping me) thinks it's the motherboard, but neither of us are quite sure.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
It could be a lot of things, yes. These problems are the literal worst to troubleshoot. A power supply is the easiest to test/prove.

Just because it 'turns on' doesnt mean your power supply isnt toast. There are about 5 different types of power a power supply gives.

Cerene

We solved the issue! Turns out my motherboard had onboard bluetooth and the two drivers caused it to crash. Was able to get to a restore point and got it up and running now. Thank y'all so much for all the advice <3

Latest posts