What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

System freezing up

SneakySnake

My system freezes semi-often upon me trying to wake it from sleep. No signal is sent to the screen and the lights on my G15 keyboard flicker on and off until I switch off the PSU at the back of the computer. I thought it might be the hefty overclock I have going. E6300 45nm (wolfdale chip) at 400*10 @ 1.375 volts on an OCZ Vendetta, but the thing is I've had that overclock for about 2 months now with no problems.

After reseting the OC to stock settings the problem still persists. When I reset the computer it keeps failing the start up (like when you have an OC set to high) but will not reset the Bios until I switch off the PSU and wait a few minutes, and then turn it on.

The PSU is a fairly new (about 2 months old) TX750, but its not really being stressed at all. All I have on it is my E6300 with the OC and a GTX 260, which should only draw about 400 volts under load. The temps are good with my CPU idling at about 32 degrees, and going to about 55 under load.

What on earth could the problem be?

bojangles

Haha, 400 volts is insane. That's why it doesn't work! Voltage control keeps your PC off!

All kidding aside, sometimes the sleep states can become faulty and won't work. It's happened to my EVGA X58 Vanilla. I used to be able to put the computer to sleep, but now I have to shut if off. I'm pretty sure it was likely due to the high overclock I had. Have you tried other sleep states other than S1 or S3? Try looking through your BIOS to see what it can do. Maybe try from Hibernate too.

System Sleep States: S0, S1, S2, S3, S4 & S5 - CrazyEngineers Forum

Eagle Eye

Overclocks can be come unstable overtime sneakysnake, you might consider a touch more voltage and double check your other settings.

Have you recently updated any software, ie. drivers...etc. Sometimes new drivers can be a little flaky and cause problems, new isn't all always better keep that in mind.

I see that you're on Windows7 I'm unsure where the event viewer is like on XP (yeah I'm old school) Check that and see if there might be any errors software or system wise.

Lastly memory, I'd run a couple passes of memtest especially when overclocked just to see how stable you're timings are.

Other things to consider is a failing HDD, loose cables, damaged SATA cables, failing motherboard (never hurts to physically inspect)

Regards,

EE

bojangles

EE, loose cables shouldn't pose a problem when coming out of sleep mode. It's the motherboard that is usually the culprit. The graphics card maybe not be compatible (for whatever weird reason) and won't INIT upon waking, which is usually what will happen.

What happens when you press the power button from sleep mode? Does it power back up or anything?

I would honestly save your OC settings somewhere and reset CMOS on the motherboard and see if sleep mode works then.

SneakySnake

thanks for the advice

I dont think I've installed any new drivers recently so I doubt that's the problem. I'll try upping the voltage on my OC and see if that helps, however the CPU is only a few months old as well - or would me having to up the voltage indicate a problem in the mobo.

My mobo has a noticeable bend in it, but I don't think that anything is actually busted. Is there a test or something that I could run that checks the health of my motherboard?

Latest posts