What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

System Freezing While NOT on skype

bangegat

So I am having a really weird problem with a desktop I built for a friend last week.

His computer is having issues where if he is NOT on skype it freezes all the time, and has to be powered down and restarted. However, if he joins a skype call, it remains completely stable. I am at a loss to what could be causing this problem.

It has almost a 100% immediate freeze when running programs like Hearthstone and Youtube in his browser. His unit freezes after approx 10-15min when running Diablo 3 or League of Legends.

We have reformatted his computer twice now (it froze during one reformat attempt). So I have tried to rule out software problems.

I would normally think this kind of a problem would be from a faulty graphics card, but it just doesnt seem consistent enough.

Tomorrow or Monday I am going to be swapping spare parts into his machine to see if I can narrow down where the problem is, but I am just curious if anyone else has seen or even heard of this problem.

His system specs are as follows

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8320
Ram: 8gb (4x2) GSkill
Graphics Card: Asus 750ti
Power Supply: Coolermaster 650w

Shadowarez

Have you check in power management to see if the cpu is set right could be on a balanced profile or in gpu menu to see if pci option Is set to adaptive but that wouldn't explain issue of freezing while formatting. Things to check.

1.if you're ocing the cpu reset to defaults
2.remove cmos battery for 5-10 mins
3.try run a meanest see if its a bad stick of ram
4.repeat cpu reapply Tim heatsink.

Bond007

So it's not freezing just sitting on desktop screne, but it is in programs except Skype? Could be items as mentioned above. Maybe poor heatsink contact? Did you check the cpu/gpu temps?

MARSTG

Upgrade mobo bios to last available version. Try running just 2 sticks at a time. Try another psu, coolermaster has some crappy psus, not all of them are 80+ Bronze. How old is that psu?

Latest posts

Twitter